Oil filter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil filter question

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oil filter question

Been using Fram PH16 oil filters in my XJ and YJ for years probably because they are what the local parts place sells. Anyways, took a couple of old used ones apart recently with a filter cutter for inspection. The spring for the plastic bypass valve seems kind of wimpy...it only takes less than 10 lbs to fully compress it. However, by comparison, the spring taken from a Champion aircraft oil filter doesn't hardly begin to compress with 10 lbs of weight on it. Just wonder how much oil the Fram filter is filtering and how much it may be bypassing. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Normal oil pressure on a Lycoming is about twice that of a 4.0L. And the oil viscosity is higher.

Fram isn't what it used to be. Use a Wix if you want a quality filter. In addition to a poor bypass valve, the Fram anti-backflow seal isn't worth a hoot, either. I used to have lifter clatter at start-up with Fram filters. That problem completely ceased when I switched to a different brand.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Not much (Quality filtering going on there). If you search Fram filters on here you will see that we have pretty much voted them off of the island!

You can get the Wix filters at most places as well and they use a coil style by-pass spring rather than the leaf. I cut open a Baldwin this week, it also had the coil. And of Course the Amsoil EAO filter has a coil as well.

The WIX can be grabbed off the shelpf at most places. Also Carquest & NAPA Gold filters are made by WIX, but I have not opened either of those to verify the coil spring.

What concerned me most when I opened the Fram filters was the cardboard end caps they use.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Rollin
2005 WK 

Purolator Pureone is what I run. I run the one for a Mustang 5.0 on my Jeep and I can hold about .5 to .75 qts of extra oil. My TJ had drainback problems with Fram filters because their anti drainback valve blows. Purolator, Wix and Mopar filters dont have this problem so I stick to them.

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
spnkr94
1995 ZJ 

I've heard nothing good about fram. The worst out there from what i read. I guess they are made of cardboard inserts and have platic valves that let dirty oil leak back into the pan. Not enough oil flow...so I think it'll up your oil pressure according to the sensor. Get a napa gold filter, also heard good things about purolator.
spnkr94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I run a NAPA 1515 made by WIX for NAPA the same filter the 5.0 mustang uses it'a a little taller for more filtering media, lot's of people run this filter on their 4.0 on this forum and others
you will neep a tad more than 6 qt of oil on your oil change so go ahead and get 7 qts!!

Brizzle
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i remember on one of the last fram topics that supposedly cumins will void a warranty on any of the motors if a fram filter is used due to how bad they have gotten

i use purolator usually

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to use Fram, but man, I watched too many youtube videos of filter reviews bashing Fram. I chose not to use Fram on my Jeep.

Now, I use the Napa Gold Filter P/N #51515 IIRC

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run K&N 3001s. They're a Fram PH8A equivalent but they're top notch quality. Every time I fire my rig up, the oil pressure is there instantly, instead of waiting for several seconds for the rig to build pressure.
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Ford FL-A1 Works on the 4.0 Also I hear it's a Monster filter.

I used the K&N one before i switch to amsoil smaller filter but better filtration.

I put the same K&N filter on my g/fs 2000 neon and it held 1/2 qt more haha and weighed almost 3x the stock oil filter empty lol.

K&N 3001 PH8A='s Amsoil Ea015
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i also use the K&N HP-3001

auto zone was having a deal that if you buy the 5+quart jug of valvoline conven. oil and buy a fram filter you get the oil AND filter cheaper then just buying the oil and a different brand of filter...explain that to me lol i suppose theyre just trying to get rid of fram filters haha so i now have a "spare" fram filter sitting in the jeep lol
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn View Post
i also use the K&N HP-3001

auto zone was having a deal that if you buy the 5+quart jug of valvoline conven. oil and buy a fram filter you get the oil AND filter cheaper then just buying the oil and a different brand of filter...explain that to me lol i suppose theyre just trying to get rid of fram filters haha so i now have a "spare" fram filter sitting in the jeep lol
Only time id think about using a fram is doing a motor flush or on somebody else's car haha.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mobil1. The M1-301 like the PH8A, FL1 etc. Have never heard anything bad about them. Got 6 in a case from a guy on eBay, free shipping. Cheaper than local stores, including WalMart. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run the Puralator Pure One.

Good research numbers and the pricepoint is not much more than an "el-cheapo".
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
jeeptown
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Has anybody ran or run a STP oil filter. They are on sale at AZone.
jeeptown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.