Oil In Distributor.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil In Distributor....

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Jmprep

Oil In Distributor....

Hi Fellow Jeep & XJ Lovers, I have a new problem, which I need your help with. I recently pulled my distributor cap and to my surprise there was alot of oil inside the distributor and on the cap. I am wondering if anyone knows were I can purchase the seal thats internally in the distributor or am I better off replacing the distributor??? Thanks To All...

Jmprep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A new distributor isn't too pricey. I have never heard of this before. Does your engine have alot of blowby that would have blown the seal out in the first place?
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Jmprep

Hi mgramann, Thanks for the reply. Yes I did have a lot of blowby, the ccv tubing was clogged. I have recently cleaned the vavle cover and all the vacuum lines. So what am looking to do is replace the seal inside the distributor. Do you know where I can get this seal? I priced a distributor $49.00 plus a $20.00 core charge. The XJ budget is kinda tight.
Thanks JR.
Jmprep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since you cleared the clog in the tube, you might not need to mess with the distributor. I'd do a wait and see approach.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm View Post
Since you cleared the clog in the tube, you might not need to mess with the distributor. I'd do a wait and see approach.

10char
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The oil should stop being pushed inside the dist. since you have cleared the lines. I agree with the above posts and would clean out all you can and check it in a week or so.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.