The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #76
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

This should become a sticky!!
Good info here

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #77
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzdizz
I have one or two questions that I haven't been able to figure out after reading. When looking at this hack N tap kit,
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=153,
I still need to find the spicer part and a DS correct? I'm assuming it comes with everything else I'll need.

There isn't a detailed description on jeepinoutfitters as to what the differences are between this SYE kit and he others listed, and the pictures leave something to be desired.

It seems like a pretty good price, assuming I can locate the DS and spicer part locally.
with the HnT you need the spicer part unless you are buying a tom woods custom drive shaft in which case you can ask him to put one on for you but your still going to have to pay for it.

but basacally the spicer flange is the only thing that can connect to the HnT flange (there is one other but i wont go into that)

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #78
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnphreak
This should become a sticky!!
Good info here
thank you for your support. it is a sticky in the tech/faq sticky located at the top of the cherokee technical forum. but there are enough stickies as it is, it would start getting cluttered if this one was added to the top. even though i think it would be very useful for a lot of members to see it there.

again thanks, and im glad you like it

-Kyle
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #79
nootay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks a bunch for posting this thread. Ive read it several times in the last few months, and i think im about ready to get a SYE now. After reading, im pretty sure i have this right, but just want to double check. I plan on purchasing this:

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=567

which replaces the output shaft. one of my buddys has several front driveshafts from various cherokees and grand cherokees, so as long as they came out of a 91+ cherokee or grand cherokee with an auto transmission, this drive shaft will work just fine correct? id eventually like a tom woods DS, but for now id like to save some money for other things (like my wedding in april!). sorry for bringing and old thread back to life, i just wanted to make sure i was correct before i start shelling out the cash. also, i have an 8.25 rear end, not sure how much that matters. right now, i think i will need the HD SYE kit and a front drive shaft. anything else im missing?

thanks for the help!
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #80
G.Thomas
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just read through this, great information. It may have been mentioned, but I don't recall, it's my understanding the OEM front CV drive shaft won't work unless you have a fair amount of lift, like 3.5 to 4 inches or more because it's too long, in particular on the later models like mine with the 8.25 rear. So it's a bust for say a BB of 2-2.5 inches on these later year models which seem subject to problems with even minor lifts and you end up having to buy a shorter custom CV shaft when you install an SYE. Am I correct in this?

[B]"If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment!"[/B]
G.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #81
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Thomas
Just read through this, great information. It may have been mentioned, but I don't recall, it's my understanding the OEM front CV drive shaft won't work unless you have a fair amount of lift, like 3.5 to 4 inches or more because it's too long, in particular on the later models like mine with the 8.25 rear. So it's a bust for say a BB of 2-2.5 inches on these later year models which seem subject to problems with even minor lifts and you end up having to buy a shorter custom CV shaft when you install an SYE. Am I correct in this?
Fortunately they WILL work with as little as 2" of lift. I have 2" of lift and run the hack n' tap/front DS just fine. I have the 8.25 rear axle and np242 t-case which both effectively shorten the rear DS and it still works. If you had a d35 or d44 it would work on stock height. I had to extend my bumpstops about an inch to be safe on bottoming out the DS but I probably would have been fine on stock bumpstops too.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #82
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay
thanks a bunch for posting this thread. Ive read it several times in the last few months, and i think im about ready to get a SYE now. After reading, im pretty sure i have this right, but just want to double check. I plan on purchasing this:

which replaces the output shaft. one of my buddys has several front driveshafts from various cherokees and grand cherokees, so as long as they came out of a 91+ cherokee or grand cherokee with an auto transmission, this drive shaft will work just fine correct? id eventually like a tom woods DS, but for now id like to save some money for other things (like my wedding in april!). sorry for bringing and old thread back to life, i just wanted to make sure i was correct before i start shelling out the cash. also, i have an 8.25 rear end, not sure how much that matters. right now, i think i will need the HD SYE kit and a front drive shaft. anything else im missing?

thanks for the help!
The cherokee and grand cherokee front DS are different. I would find one off of a regular ol' xj since you'll know it will work. I've heard of people using GC front DS on higher lifts since they are longer though.

91+ auto 4.0 xj front shaft is what you want. It will work perfect with 3.5" of lift and the 8.25 axle. You'll want to rebuild the front DS before you put it in there.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #83
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

thanks for the help!
no worries about bringing the thread back, i encourage people to do so.

your setup sounds fine, get the HD sye and put a front DS from an auto tranny XJ back there and you will be just fine. As dopod said make sure you rebuild the new front DS with new ujoints.

-Kyle
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #84
nootay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what type of uj oints will i need to rebuild it?
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #85
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

somebody chime in here i forgot the exact u joints, but if you go to NAPA they will have the correct you joint numbers for you (thats what i did)

-Kyle
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #86
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

napa PN

Standard Joint
NUJ

Greasable U-Joint
PUJ

-Kyle
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #87
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
what type of uj oints will i need to rebuild it?
For the double cardan joint:
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #88
citRon
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok, I've read through all the posts, I think- got a question. My setup- 2 inch spacers up front, 2" AAL in the rear, (stock shackles) 30x9.50 tires on stock 15x7 rims. 96 4.0 w/ aw4 auto tranny, 8.25 rear, 231 tc. Got vibes immediately, so I bought the RE hack-n-tap, spicer flange and front shaft out of a 93 xj. Got everything in the garage, waiting to go in. So, those with experience with this setup, will I need any shims to get the angles right, or will the axle to shaft angle be where it needs to be? thanks
citRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #89
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

with 2" you should be all set to go with just the SYE. Your pinion angle wont be too much of an issue at 2".

-Kyle
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #90
citRon
1996 XJ Cherokee 

cool. I got about 2 1/2 inches from the AAL's, maybe they'll settle some, maybe not- I'm impressed with the Black Diamond stuff- pretty thick leaf, and rides nice too. Oh, yeah, new shocks too - I did the Rock Lizard suggested Monroes and used rear swaybar mounts for BPE's. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I think I'll be really pleased with it when I get the front shaft and sye on.
citRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.