The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #46
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc88
sorrta travled away from the yj posts
but this is the SYE thread so...

i have finsished installing the AA sye kit along with a cv ds on my np231 t case
the original gear selecton patteren was 2H 4H N 4L
now the shift pattern starts 4wd then 2h
any ideas on what i did wrong???
did you take your TC out when you installed the SYE?

most likely its due to a poor adjustment to your linkage which can easily be corrected.

-Kyle

XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #47
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick

most likely its due to a poor adjustment to your linkage which can easily be corrected.

-Kyle
x2. If that doesn't work, You'll also want to make sure that your shifting fork was seated properly when you changed out the output shaft. I've never had a problem with these moving on me during re-assembly, but it's what controls the 2wd and 4wd engagement so it's a thought. Unfortunately that means disassembling the entire thing all over again

Oh and did it cross anyone else who took apart their transfercase that the ring that engages the 4wd (locks the output shaft in place with the chain sprocket) was a little chinsey... all that power pulling on those tiny little splines... amazing. I've never read about it failing, but it just amazes me that that little piece is what is sending all that power to the front axle.
Just my 2 cents though
Unread 07-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #48
1990XJNY

i figured this would be a good place to post this question. I have a 1990 XJ with a 231 transfer case and i was wondering in order to install a sye kit do i need to remove my transfer case or can i do it while in my jeep?
C4x4 front tow hook mounts
and more
1990XJNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #49
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

its just as easy to do it in the vehicle
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #50
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Kyle, perhaps I missed it, but I do not see any reference to Tom Woods on your "sources" page. If you don't care to install your own 242 H&T TW is a great option to have it professionally installed. Here's the URL:
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #51
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc88
sorrta travled away from the yj posts
but this is the SYE thread so...

i have finsished installing the AA sye kit along with a cv ds on my np231 t case
the original gear selecton patteren was 2H 4H N 4L
now the shift pattern starts 4wd then 2h
any ideas on what i did wrong???

Did you measure the length and trim your selector shaft as detailed in the AA instructions?

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #52
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco
Kyle, perhaps I missed it, but I do not see any reference to Tom Woods on your "sources" page. If you don't care to install your own 242 H&T TW is a great option to have it professionally installed. Here's the URL:
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
what do you mean to have the HnT professionally installed? do you send him your TC?

but yes i definatly forgot to include tom woods, thanks.
-Kyle
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #53
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990XJNY
i figured this would be a good place to post this question. I have a 1990 XJ with a 231 transfer case and i was wondering in order to install a sye kit do i need to remove my transfer case or can i do it while in my jeep?
you can do it either way but many people like to take it out just to make sure everything went in properly because they can see whats going on a lot better then when its in the vehical.

-Kyle
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #54
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
what do you mean to have the HnT professionally installed? do you send him your TC?
Nope, just the shaft. They install their SYE and send it back. :-)
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
Unread 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #55
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

-Kyle
I installed the sye out of vehicle i will check the adjustment and see if that does the trick.

If not then the next step may be to open up the case again.

The selector shaft was just under one inch .

Thanks for all the help!!! :

jeep
aaronc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #56
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Newbie question here. I read the Sticky Threads but have a little confusion.

I have a 1998 with the 242 TC and Dana 35. I am installing a RE H&T. I will use a junkyard front driveshaft in the rear. Do I need the Spicer 211229x to mate the driveshaft to the TC?
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #57
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo
Newbie question here. I read the Sticky Threads but have a little confusion.

I have a 1998 with the 242 TC and Dana 35. I am installing a RE H&T. I will use a junkyard front driveshaft in the rear. Do I need the Spicer 211229x to mate the driveshaft to the TC?
yes if your using a HnT with the front DS then you will need the spicer flange.

-Kyle
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #58
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco
Nope, just the shaft. They install their SYE and send it back. :-)
i guess thats a pretty good idea, but i would probably get a new shaft and send them the new one because it will put your XJ out of comission in the mean time.

-Kyle
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #59
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
i guess thats a pretty good idea, but i would probably get a new shaft and send them the new one because it will put your XJ out of comission in the mean time.

-Kyle
Ha ha--that's exactly what I did. I sent them the shaft out of my spare 242 and kept on driving :-) Oh, you can also NOT send them a shaft but there is a rather large (IIRC, around $400) core charge, which you get back once you swap the shafts and return your stock one to them.
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #60
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

do you have a price as to how much it ended up running you to have them install it?

-Kyle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.