The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #301
BigCoy1986
2001 XJ Cherokee 

SYE and CV drive shaft- Rough Country

Alright guys, help me out here. Rough country makes a SYE kit and a CV drive shaft to go with it. I have a 2001 XJ with a 3" lift, an NP231 TC and a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. I am thinking of buying this kit because I am still getting some vibrations at or around 65+ MPH on the high way. Also, when I engage my 4x4 every now and then it doesnt want to disengage. Not always but every once in a while.
Would the SYE help with this issue disengaging issue?
Would this help with the drive line vibrations I am feeling at 65+ MPH?
Does anyone know if these are good parts? I cant find any reviews on them.

Help point me in the right direction, please.

Unread 03-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #302
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 4x4 disengagement thing will not be helped by adding an SYE kit (at least not that I have ever heard of or can see how it would). Mine does that too sometimes, I simply stop, back up a little bit in reverse and then drive forward, pops right out. Same thing, not all the time but once in a while.

The SYE will completely remove all vibes and drive-line noise. This appears to be the Advanced Adapters HD SYE and the Tom Woods DS. Both are top notch components. I have had the AA SYE for 4 years now, works amazingly well and is well worth the money/effort.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-dr...riveshaft.html

If you want to go cheaper, you can grab the AA SYE and a front driveshaft (double cardan style) from a 4WD Cherokee XJ and use it as a rear shaft with this SYE. I did that, and have picked up a spare, so I have 3 identical drive shafts and I got both for $100 bucks.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #303
BigCoy1986
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
The 4x4 disengagement thing will not be helped by adding an SYE kit (at least not that I have ever heard of or can see how it would). Mine does that too sometimes, I simply stop, back up a little bit in reverse and then drive forward, pops right out. Same thing, not all the time but once in a while.

The SYE will completely remove all vibes and drive-line noise. This appears to be the Advanced Adapters HD SYE and the Tom Woods DS. Both are top notch components. I have had the AA SYE for 4 years now, works amazingly well and is well worth the money/effort.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-dr...riveshaft.html

If you want to go cheaper, you can grab the AA SYE and a front driveshaft (double cardan style) from a 4WD Cherokee XJ and use it as a rear shaft with this SYE. I did that, and have picked up a spare, so I have 3 identical drive shafts and I got both for $100 bucks.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it man.
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #304
BigCoy1986
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How hard is it to do a SYE while still on the vehicle????
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #305
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have read, and been told, that high speed vibrations are caused by balance issues.
SYEs address driveline angles, which cause LOW speed vibrations.

When you say you are *still getting* vibrations, have you tried to mitigate them somehow and it didn't help?

And some people think it's easier to install the SYE w/o removing the T-case (presumably with the Jeep on a lift!).
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #306
mhg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK help me out here....I am researching an SLE for my 2000 XJ. I see many kits come with a CV shaft. What am I missing. That shaft is obviously shorter than the stock shaft. is there another component I am needing? While I have access to a lift and have always done all my own repairs, I would prefer to buy a complete kit and not have my jeep sitting on my brothers lift while I wait for more parts to come.

I found this web site what asks for the measurements. http://www.rockridge4wd.com/Jeep-XJ-...cv-sye-kit.htm. Are these any good?

I don't have any vibration but I do have a droning at 60 mph which could also be my pinion bearing or just a pinion angle (which I will be measuring tonight). But I should have a SLE with a 4.5" lit so I figure what the hell...
mhg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #307
cpeters1928

Ok I have a 96 xj and I've been having very bad sounds coming from my t-case.

I currently have a 4.5" lift and I do I have a T-Case drop kit installed. This helped with vibration issues but I am still having others.

I hear a clanking sound in the tcase when stopped then when I let off the brake and go at idle speed it's silent and feels smooth.

Then if I hit the gas and accelerate it's makes like a "wawawawa" (lol) sound that gets faster as I accelerate then fades away.

I also hear a droaning at high speeds

My question is, will a SYE resolve these problems and if so, what kind should I get?
cpeters1928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #308
tazunemono

I have a 1996 with an auto transmission, a NP242 transfer case, and an 8.25 rear axle.

See http://i.imgur.com/2LzzsKo.jpg this is a 28" drive shaft.

If I'm only lifting 3" do I need to consider this slip-yoke mod, or am I OK? Looking to put on Rough Country 3" lift.
tazunemono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #309
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i tried to read all in this thread, and behold... more i read more i got lost...

i have 91 xj 3,5" lift, 8 1/2" rear and 242 with homemade H&T sye, i been using stock front DS in rear but those seems to be a bit too short, im over extending my shaft when flexing out, slip joint is nearly on its end when in normal ride height and outflexing makes slip splines coming out of the dust seal, i have allready broke dust seal and my old dS that seal constantly popped off from its place, slip worns out rapidly and allready the one i have in now vibrates badly, uphills i have to use 4wd, wihtout whole car starts violent shake, good joint usually lasts about 1000 miles and then its toast.

i could extend one myself but balancing cv shaft is a bit tricky at home

some zj shaft seems to be longer but not so easy to find i think, and after all reading not sure at all if it fits or will it be too long and ill bottom it out, or did i just read all wrong here.
Rytari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.