The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #211
durrell
1975 CJ5 

Just ordered it. Here's to hoping I can do it without ruining the shaft.

durrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #212
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4x4Yet View Post
I believe that the hack and tap sets the mounting point out further allowing you to run a front shaft in the rear. Im not positive but that what i got outa what I read. So if you did real SYE you also need to buy a new axle.
why would you need a new axle just to install an SYE?
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #213
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
you don't need a new axel... just the sye and extended driveline that you measure, then send the company for them to make you one.

ebay's ur friend.
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #214
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I believe that the hack and tap sets the mounting point out further allowing you to run a front shaft in the rear. Im not positive but that what i got outa what I read. So if you did real SYE you also need to buy a new axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcor4 View Post
you don't need a new axel... just the sye and extended driveline that you measure, then send the company for them to make you one.

ebay's ur friend.

I ment to say new driveshaft. I havent seen anyone saying they run a stock from axle with a SYE short shaft kit. If Im wrong please correct me but as far as Ive seen you need the HnT to run a factory front shaft and save money.
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #215
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was gonna say, I've never heard of anyone needed to get a new axle so they could install an SYE.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #216
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I ment to say new driveshaft. I havent seen anyone saying they run a stock from axle with a SYE short shaft kit. If Im wrong please correct me but as far as Ive seen you need the HnT to run a factory front shaft and save money.
You did it again.
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #217
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
You did it again.
I give up!
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #218
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am lost but no need for a new axle, just a new driveshaft. I was able to get away with using a stock front driveshaft in mine for 4" of lift to 8.5" of lift. I was looking into doing axle swaps and then I would need to get a custom shaft made but if you are running XJ axles, a stock front shaft will work fine.
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #219
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm still torn between HnT or the JB SYE. $100 more and less chance of messing something up it seems. If I go ahead and bite the bullet for the HnT, what cut off wheel do I buy at Home Depot. Any 4 inch cutting wheel? And how is everyone keeping the hole they are drilling straight? What if I drill it at an angle?
brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #220
SFRautomotive
#TeamUnibody

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
I am lost but no need for a new axle, just a new driveshaft. I was able to get away with using a stock front driveshaft in mine for 4" of lift to 8.5" of lift. I was looking into doing axle swaps and then I would need to get a custom shaft made but if you are running XJ axles, a stock front shaft will work fine.
unless you run a dana 35 or an AX15

stock XJ shafts end up being to short
SFRautomotive is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #221
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0128 View Post
I'm still torn between HnT or the JB SYE. $100 more and less chance of messing something up it seems. If I go ahead and bite the bullet for the HnT, what cut off wheel do I buy at Home Depot. Any 4 inch cutting wheel? And how is everyone keeping the hole they are drilling straight? What if I drill it at an angle?
When I did mine with my friend we jacked up the front, put it in 4lo and let it idle in 1st while he took a 4" cutting wheel to it and slowly took it off, made it smooth, then measure dead center and used a punch as a guide. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
unless you run a dana 35 or an AX15

stock XJ shafts end up being to short
Ah yeah forgot about that I was running an AX15 and 8.25.
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #222
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0128 View Post
How much is the axle for the JB SYE?
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #223
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

So im lost at the moment, but slowly figuring this all out. From what I have read... a front auto DS and this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-2006-Je...item5d31e2361e

Would be what I need. Rather not H&T.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #224
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno if the stock front shaft would fit with a SYE like that. The H&T yoke sits out a good but further.
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #225
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got an answer back that says it will fit, but like you said, might need a longer driveshaft. Ive read that the PORC one will work with a front auto shaft, which is the same price as the Rugged ridge on ebay.

The wait to the next pay begins.... Unless i get some of these other parts sold.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.