The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #181
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepedo View Post
Ok, so Ive been looking around for a sye kit for my 97 and I'm confused a little bit on one part. While looking at some of the kits some say "for all np231 models" and others say "tj, yj" but theydon't say xj, also teraflex charges more for the xj sye than they do the tj one. I've tried to figure out why but to me they look exactly the same, I would assume since the xj and tj have the same T-case (np231 not 242) that the kits should be the same and so should the price. So my question is, if I buy a kit that says tj yj will it still work on my xj? I'm so confused about it and right now it's the only thing that's keeping me from buying one.
I installed a Teraflex kit about a week ago and all the directions refered to "YJ" even though I bought an XJ kit. My guess is they just have one set of directions and info on their web sites.

Last edited by escapeartist; 03-22-2010 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Spewling
escapeartist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #182
Jeepedo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman_VIMB View Post
Don't quote me on this... but I believe that they TJ/YJ shaft (replacement shaft in the kit) is either shorter or longer than the XJ one? There was something different for sure... don't recall what. Others like CJ7-Tim will likely have that answer?

Still doesn't explain why some are universal?

See that's what I'm stuck on is why can some kits say that they are universal and others don't. Especially since the xj one is 308$ where the tj and yj one is 243$. thats 65$ difference that i cant tell why?

oh and sorry for quoting you ha ha
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #183
Jeepedo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

escapeartist, did you buy the xj one for 308 or 243?
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #184
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepedo View Post
escapeartist, did you buy the xj one for 308 or 243?
I don't remeber what I paid. I got it from jeepinoutfiters with a whole Y-link RE lift kit. As I recall the price was very fair.
Unread 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #185
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

wow this was extremely helpful. thanks for writing this.
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #186
93ZJ_5.2_ca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a good 1000 miles or so since I installed my SYE kit and its been great no problems in sight. Just wondering should I change the oil now or let it run till my next nornal change out?
93ZJ_5.2_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #187
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJK View Post
Section 4 - All available SYEs and locations that you can purchase them

Rubicon Express SYEs
HD SYE Kit (NP231)
Rugged Ridge heavy-duty SYE kit - NP231, 52231 - JeepinOutfitters

Heavy-duty SYE/CV driveshaft combo (NP231)
Rugged Ridge SYE/CV driveshaft combo, NP231, 52231-1860 - JeepinOutfitters

1807 SYE KIT CV TJ/XJ 96+ *Hack N Tap* (NP231/ NP242)
Rubicon Express SYE KIT CV TJ/XJ 96+, RE1807 - JeepinOutfitters

1801 SYE KIT CV TJ/XJ Pre 96 *Hack N Tap* (NP231/ NP242)
Rubicon Express SYE KIT CV NP231/242 Pre-'96, RE1801 - JeepinOutfitters

SYE/CV driveshaft combo *Hack N Tap* TJ/XJ 96+
RE Hack-n-Tap SYE/CV driveshaft combo TJ/XJ 96+, RE1807-1898 - JeepinOutfitters

PORC SYEs
HD SYE Kit (NP231)
PORC

PORC

Hack N Tap Pre 96 (NP231/ NP242)
PORC

JB Conversions SYEs
HD SYE Kit (NP231)
JB Conversions, Inc.
okay so i really need to do a sye. i will def be doing a hack n tap deal. i see all the websites with what im looking for but what i am not seeing is the adapter. all im seeing is the piece that goes over the shaft and gets a bolt to the shaft. but what about the other piece that hooks to the drive shaft and the need piece on the output shaft? i hope this makes sense. thanks for any info
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #188
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonejeepin04220 View Post
okay so i really need to do a sye. i will def be doing a hack n tap deal. i see all the websites with what im looking for but what i am not seeing is the adapter. all im seeing is the piece that goes over the shaft and gets a bolt to the shaft. but what about the other piece that hooks to the drive shaft and the need piece on the output shaft? i hope this makes sense. thanks for any info
If you are doing a flange-style hack and tap (like Rubicon Express) you will need to get Spicer flange # 211229x to connect the driveshaft to the flange. Drivelines, Yokes, Carrier Bearings and Spacers, Etc. 1310 CV Flanged Centering Yoke
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #189
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I read a good bit of this and Im thinking about goin with the IRO SYE since its a all inclusive kit and the JY around here are a rip off. They prolly wnat over a $100 for a use drive shaft. Is anyone running the IRO Kit? How is it?
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #190
durrell
1975 CJ5 

I'm confused as to why the Hack n' Tap would be preferable to a normal SYE. Is it just because people don't want to open their transfer case or what?

My question is this: I found a front XJ shaft in the junkyard, so I'm all set with that. If I do the HNT I need the Spicer flange (48 bucks is best price I've seen) and the RE 1807 (99 bucks). So I'm looking at 150 for the HNT and I'd still need to purchase the necessary tools to tap.

OR I could buy the Advance Adapters SYE for 199 and just do it that way. If I decide to go the AA route, which Yoke Option do I choose when using an XJ driveshaft? The 1310 CV yoke? That seems like the smartest option to me. Opening up the transfer case really doesn't look that bad.
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #191
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4x4Yet
So I read a good bit of this and Im thinking about goin with the IRO SYE since its a all inclusive kit and the JY around here are a rip off. They prolly wnat over a $100 for a use drive shaft. Is anyone running the IRO Kit? How is it?
I installed the iro hack and tap last weekend. It went great, when I got sharp drill bits. It really isn't that difficult but if I were to do it over again I would have paid for them to include the drill bits and tap.

Edit: I see you are asking about they sye and not hack and tap... I have no idea about their full sye kit.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #192
durrell
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I installed the iro hack and tap last weekend. It went great, when I got sharp drill bits. It really isn't that difficult but if I were to do it over again I would have paid for them to include the drill bits and tap.

Edit: I see you are asking about they sye and not hack and tap... I have no idea about their full sye kit.
It looks like the IRO kit is the non-flange style, so it doesn't need the Spicer flange. Since I already have a driveshaft, I could just get the yoke kit plus the tools for 140 and that would be it.

..I think. Anyone know for sure?
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #193
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell View Post
I'm confused as to why the Hack n' Tap would be preferable to a normal SYE. Is it just because people don't want to open their transfer case or what?

My question is this: I found a front XJ shaft in the junkyard, so I'm all set with that. If I do the HNT I need the Spicer flange (48 bucks is best price I've seen) and the RE 1807 (99 bucks). So I'm looking at 150 for the HNT and I'd still need to purchase the necessary tools to tap.

OR I could buy the Advance Adapters SYE for 199 and just do it that way. If I decide to go the AA route, which Yoke Option do I choose when using an XJ driveshaft? The 1310 CV yoke? That seems like the smartest option to me. Opening up the transfer case really doesn't look that bad.
I believe that the hack and tap sets the mounting point out further allowing you to run a front shaft in the rear. Im not positive but that what i got outa what I read. So if you did real SYE you also need to buy a new axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post

Thanks I was looking at the hack n tap, since IRO has it with the axle for a good price.
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #194
durrell
1975 CJ5 

Well I'm leaning more toward the IRO hack and tap at this point. Just wondering about the flange.
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #195
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So i have a 250 dollar budget. I would prefer to use the stock XJ front driveshaft so I only need to have one spare. I dont mind if its an SYE or HnT.

I saw interest in the PORC SYE kit but not sure if i can use the stock XJ front driveshaft with that.

also, if i do a HnT, what is the weak point? would the U-joints break before the output shaft breaks?

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.