The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read* - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread *All Read*

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #166
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Rugged Ridge HD SYE is for the NP231. You will need to go with a hack n tap or try Tom Wood's.

mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #167
chevyman840
1994 ZJ 

iro has a nice hack n tap that will fit a 242 and in your xj a front drive shaft will fit you can add one for like $80
chevyman840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #168
xjpeople
2000 XJ Cherokee 

now im having a hard time deciding what sye to get for my np231
now theirs two im looking at the Rugged Ridge heavy-duty SYE kit
or TeraFlex Heavy-Duty NP231 Short Shaft Kit
whats the differences and what one should i get??
and i plain on putting a 5.5 lift on if that helps
xjpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #169
Xjoutsider
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am rocking about 5.5 Inch of lift. I have got the Tera Flex Kit not the super short. I am running a Grand cherokee shaft. MY trany is the AX15 I have a good bit of Travel left in the shaft.
Xjoutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #170
Timeless
1987 MJ Comanche 

From what I can figure with the IRO hack n tap, it does not require any type of seal for post 96 NP242's. Can any one confirm this?
Timeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #171
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You XJ's have the same problems with NV231J's us TJ's and LJ's have, so here is another informative Double Cardan driveshaft (aka CV driveshaft) thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #172
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
You XJ's have the same problems with NV231J's us TJ's and LJ's have, so here is another informative Double Cardan driveshaft (aka CV driveshaft) thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
Wicked post man... great visual aids.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #173
p2y2r7o
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. Reading a lot, searching a lot, reading more...head hurts, but I think I have almost come to a decision. I'm looking at the IRO SYE & driveshaft kit here. If I buy that is there anything else I'm going to need? From what I've read I shouldn't need the spicer part, correct?

Also, I could use a really good write-up on the hack n tap. Ok, mostly the tap...hack is pretty straightforward. The link on the first page here is no longer up. If someone could please link me to a writeup and what tools are needed to do the tap i will...say thanks. Many times!
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #174
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1996-2001 XJ NP231 and NP242 have an external output shaft and do not require a seal flange when you install a Hack and Tap.

The IRO Hack and Tap does not need a Spicer flange like the Rubicon Express Hack and Tap.

I have installed both an RE and an IRO Hack and Tap. They install in a similar manner and are equal n strength.

Here is some more tech info about Hack and Tap - Custom SYE conversion

If you are doing a Hack and Tap, you need to have industrial quality tap and drills, Google Grainger or J&L Industrial Supply. Hardware Store taps and drills just won't do the job. Use firm pressure on the drills, stop often to use oil to cool the drill bit and lubricate the hole. Start with a small drill bit and make a pilot hole.

Make sure the tap starts straight and true. Turn the tap about 1/2-3/4 turn and then back it out all the way to clear the chips. Use oil on the tap and in the hole. Go slow and be patient, a busted off tap or drill will be a disaster.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #175
p2y2r7o
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Here is some more tech info about Hack and Tap - Custom SYE conversion

If you are doing a Hack and Tap, you need to have industrial quality tap and drills, Google Grainger or J&L Industrial Supply. Hardware Store taps and drills just won't do the job. Use firm pressure on the drills, stop often to use oil to cool the drill bit and lubricate the hole. Start with a small drill bit and make a pilot hole.
First, thanks for answering all my questions...in multiple threads. I'm gonna have to be annoying and ask another question though. IRO gives the option of buying the drill bits and tap needed for installation, so the quality of those should be good enough for the job right? If so, I will still need a tap handle I imagine. So would I want this or this? The latter seems to be more along the lines of what I've seen in pictures but they seem to be the same other than the longer handle.

I feel like such a child with all these questions, but I've never needed to use any tools other than the basics. (although i imagine stuff like this IS basic to a lot of people)
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #176
p2y2r7o
1997 XJ Cherokee 

bump for much needed answer.
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #177
conceitedjake
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bump for the same answer. What kind of tap handle is easiest to use? I ordered the IRO kit as well and had them include the drill bits and tap. Seemed like a good deal for 200 with the shaft.
conceitedjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #178
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Great info as usual for this site.

One glitch: the link to the "DIY SYE" on page one has gone dead. www.4x4getways.com doesn't work. Anyone know of other DIY SYE links? Has anyone tried to make their own SYE using the yoke from the front of a parts 231/242 transfercase (easy bolt up to the front driveshaft...)?

Any other junkyard parts from other vehicles adaptable for SYE on the cheap? (I have a milling machine/lathe/welder/etc. so post up if you have built this yourself...)
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #179
Jeepedo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so Ive been looking around for a sye kit for my 97 and I'm confused a little bit on one part. While looking at some of the kits some say "for all np231 models" and others say "tj, yj" but theydon't say xj, also teraflex charges more for the xj sye than they do the tj one. I've tried to figure out why but to me they look exactly the same, I would assume since the xj and tj have the same T-case (np231 not 242) that the kits should be the same and so should the price. So my question is, if I buy a kit that says tj yj will it still work on my xj? I'm so confused about it and right now it's the only thing that's keeping me from buying one.
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #180
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepedo View Post
Ok, so Ive been looking around for a sye kit for my 97 and I'm confused a little bit on one part. While looking at some of the kits some say "for all np231 models" and others say "tj, yj" but theydon't say xj, also teraflex charges more for the xj sye than they do the tj one. I've tried to figure out why but to me they look exactly the same, I would assume since the xj and tj have the same T-case (np231 not 242) that the kits should be the same and so should the price. So my question is, if I buy a kit that says tj yj will it still work on my xj? I'm so confused about it and right now it's the only thing that's keeping me from buying one.
Don't quote me on this... but I believe that they TJ/YJ shaft (replacement shaft in the kit) is either shorter or longer than the XJ one? There was something different for sure... don't recall what. Others like CJ7-Tim will likely have that answer?

Still doesn't explain why some are universal?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.