Odometer goes blank... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Odometer goes blank...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
OldNewJeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Odometer goes blank...

Hi:

Looking to buy a 160K Jeep Cherokee (99) which is otherwise in great shape. It does have two things that worry me. First, the odometer randomly goes blank (that is to bars ------) from the actual accumulated miles. Second, the display in the radio goes out, does not display anything at all even though it still plays.

The first one concerns me much more than the second. It implies either a simple communications issue with the main computer or worse a problem with the computer itself. Anyone else have this problem before and is there a simple way to identify the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

OldNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have heard of this being loose connections on the back- take out the plastic bezel around the radio/lights/steering wheel- and pop out the cluster- and apply dielectric grease to the connections in the back- it could be those connections are looks- if its a bad solder on the cluster- you can drop any like cluster in and it will work- but the mileage will be off.
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.