Odd Whistling Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Odd Whistling Noise

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
IndridCold89
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Odd Whistling Noise

I noticed I've been hearing a whistling noise lately from my engine that changes with RPM. When I cold start the truck you can hear a light whistling from the serpentine belt area, sometimes changing in pitch, other times you can't hear it at all. When you do hear it, it starts to get quieter as the engine warms up. Anyone hear this sound before? What is it?

In the video the engine is warm and you can only hear it when I pull the throttle and it starts to settle again.

IndridCold89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Vacuum leak.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I couldn't really hear it all to well but it sounds like a bad bearing. I would take your belt off and check all the pulleys for abnormal play.

I also had a similar sound in my old 89, the tab that holds the distributor broke so it was not secured. It made a very similar sound but got worse as time progressed, I found the problem before it did any damage.

Last edited by Max78; 06-26-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Me grammar good?
Max78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Does your XJ whistle while it works?

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
87cherokeecheif

I just replaced the fuel injector o rings that caused a whistle. Spay the injector with carb cleaner while running see if it runs better.than you should be able to tell if that would be a fix
87cherokeecheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
IndridCold89
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Update : Started hearing more of a faint rattling scraping sound. Took the belt off and the water pump bearing had play up and down. Luckily I bought a replacement pump 4 months ago cuz I planned on changing it soon anyway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.