Odd Marking on Brake Drum - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Odd Marking on Brake Drum

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
Pushing the brake pedal will help "center" the shoes to the drum and may get you a slightly better adjustment. That said, I've done dozens of drum brakes (including front) and never did that step, and never had a problem. It'll take you an extra minute, so do it if you want. If your adjusters are working properly, backing up and hitting the brakes a couple times will accomplish the same task.
^X2. I've done more drum brakes than I ever wanted to (which, technically, could mean 2 sets, but unfortunately is more like 10-12). I've never centered them like that, but I can't see how it would hurt anything either (as long as it is done with the drum on).

I'm not 100% sure that I'm seeing the picture right, but it looks like the gouge is in the side of the drum, not the actual friction surface? No telling what caused that. My vote: if it concerns you, buy a new one (or preferably pair). If it's bad enough you felt the need to ask, it's probably bad enough to replace. Yeah, they're not cheap, but neither are accidents. If it dug in enough, it can weaken the side, and separate the drum under hard braking (exactly when you need it not to fail). I've seen a disc on a Chevy truck that cracked between the pad surface and the mounting surface, and it did come completely apart, so the brakes locked down the outside, but the center part with the wheel kept spinning.

My experience: not all drums/rotors are created equal. Spend the money on quality parts, they're important. I've gone through several AutoZone specials, wondering why the OEM made it 100K, but the one from Taiwan warped/cracked after 25K. I recommend Rock Auto. I've found them to be fast, and I pay less for quality or OEM parts than I do for cheap stuff at AutoZone/ Advance.

XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, ignore most of my previous post. I've been staring at the picture, and I understand what I'm looking at now. I agree with gs69350:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like something got wedged between a shoe and the drum. Can you feel it with your fingernail? If there are no signs of heat cracks, I'd just have it cut and re-use it.
You could have it re-cut if you want, but if you've already had that done once, you're probably getting close to your max diameter, and some shops (here anyway) won't cut them over the max diameter, or some won't even touch them if they're even close.

If it were mine, and it was very close to flush, I'd just run with it. It might wear a matching groove in your new pads, but that's just more surface area to grab with, right?
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
Alright, ignore most of my previous post. I've been staring at the picture, and I understand what I'm looking at now. I agree with gs69350:

You could have it re-cut if you want, but if you've already had that done once, you're probably getting close to your max diameter, and some shops (here anyway) won't cut them over the max diameter, or some won't even touch them if they're even close.

If it were mine, and it was very close to flush, I'd just run with it. It might wear a matching groove in your new pads, but that's just more surface area to grab with, right?
Lol that makes sense now. I don't think it should be a problem...just was wondering if it affected braking performance. I'll see if they can cut it again if not I'll just go with it.

I've seen Rockauto- good prices but didn't know if they were any good. Knowing your experiences I will have to try them out.

Many thanks,
Kevin
who_datjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_datjeep View Post
I've seen Rockauto- good prices but didn't know if they were any good. Knowing your experiences I will have to try them out.

Many thanks,
Kevin
For some reason I was hesitant to try them at first. They website/catalog is set up in such a way that it looks out of date/ mid 90's-ish, and that kind of turned me off. But it's really a very easy to navigate database once you start tinkering with it. You just drill down through drop down menus. You can expand or shrink menus, and have several open at a time to scroll through. I've had parts arrive quick, and I've had some be a little slow, but they'll give you an idea of shipping time when you put them in your cart. If it's something you have time to plan ahead and order parts, they're great. I spent most of the spring resurrecting an old Chevy truck that had been sitting in a field for 8 years not running. They probably saved me more than $500 in parts over a few months (I spent about $1500 in parts total). And I have a bunch of AC Delco or premium US parts, instead of AutoZone "Made in Taiwan" crap. I don't mean to talk crap about AutoZone. I buy a lot of stuff there too, and the guys behind the counter at my local one are A+... but their parts are crap.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cool to know you can get brand name parts! I need a new radiator cap soon....and some new pads up front too maybe.....my rear brakes were missing hardware and I had horrible braking...maybe the source of the mark? Anyways, the fronts may have been doing double duty and could be worn out.

Kevin

By the way, try hitting up a local junkyard and pull an ECU out of a Cherokee.....if it doesn't work you can return...at least where I go.
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd honestly go ahead and replace all of the back brake components. It's not terribly expensive, but you'll enjoy knowing that EVERYTHING is new back there. I was lucky enough to get my 98 XJ that had every brake part replaced about three months before I bought it.

The reason they actually sold it to me was because it had a bad crankshaft sensor, so the Jeep would randomly die out on me. No big deal. They were probably quoted a few hundred bucks that they didn't have at the dealer and decided to sell it.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like surface rust. If youre replacing all the internal parts and resurfacing/replacing the drums, I wouldn't let it bother you. Just make sure everything is lubricated and adjusted properly.
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post
I'd honestly go ahead and replace all of the back brake components. It's not terribly expensive, but you'll enjoy knowing that EVERYTHING is new back there. I was lucky enough to get my 98 XJ that had every brake part replaced about three months before I bought it.

The reason they actually sold it to me was because it had a bad crankshaft sensor, so the Jeep would randomly die out on me. No big deal. They were probably quoted a few hundred bucks that they didn't have at the dealer and decided to sell it.
Got pics of the Jeep?
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Looks like surface rust. If youre replacing all the internal parts and resurfacing/replacing the drums, I wouldn't let it bother you. Just make sure everything is lubricated and adjusted properly.
I will see if I can get them resurfaced. It is definitely some form of rust.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #25
anony

___
anony is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.