Odd Marking on Brake Drum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Odd Marking on Brake Drum

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Odd Marking on Brake Drum

I've just been overhauling the rear brakes and when I took the drums off I noticed a rough strip in the middle of the drum going along its circumference. There is a slight mark in the middle of the shoes as well now which probably came from rubbing on the drum. I have replaced all hardware and both wheel cylinders. I have not tested it yet and I have not put the drums back on. What might be the problem? Is this normal?

Also: When I was putting the star/self adjusters back on I noticed a stamping on the center shaft that said L on one and R on the other. L is for the driver side and R is for the passenger side right?

I saw on another thread that you need to center the shoes? Is this true or necessary?
Look here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
To properly adjust rear drums you're going to have to install, remove, and reinstall your drum several times. You go through the normal process of turning the adjuster to move the brake shoes out (closer to the drum) but I didn't know you had to do anything with the brake pedal to properly seat the shoes.

Adjust as normal feeling for drag while turning the drum. You want just a little bit of drag as the drum turns. Then, with the drum reinstalled, you go inside the Jeep and stand on the brake pedal one or two times to center the shoes in the drum and go check the drag again. You'll notice there isn't as much as there was just a second ago. Readjust the brakes and stand on the pedal again. You might have to do it 3 or 4 times but it's getting done right. Repeat the same thing on both sides and go see how much better the pedal feels after you recheck your fluid reservoir. You get immediate brake response and much better peace of mind if you're driving any precious cargo like your kids.

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion with adjusting drums as I believe this applies to any hydraulic drum brake setup. My pedal is nice and high where it belongs and even very light pressure on it will gently slow me down to a stop from 30-35 mph on my 33" tires.

Kevin

Here's a picture of the drum:

who_datjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It had a failure at some point in it's life. If it were me, I would just buy drums and call it good.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
It had a failure at some point in it's life. If it were me, I would just buy drums and call it good.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The problem is I supposedly just had the drums machined a year ago along with new shoes.

Is it better to get new drums or machine these? I know there is a maximum allowable diameter on drums and I don't know if these have already been maxed out.

If I get new drums will I need new shoes too? What do you think caused the drums to wear like this?
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The photo is not real clear, but the center section of the drum looks heat checked to me. If that is the case, the drum is trash and needs to be replaced. Get new shoes as well. They are cheap.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ this, brakes are inexpensive, a pita to do the rears, but it's something to do all the way correctly, not half way. Remember, it could be your loved one in the car next to the guy that did a half azz brake job.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It doesn't really look like heat checking since those aren't cracks. It looks more like surface rust. A year ago I had my brakes replaced at Ford Idiotlane and they said they machined them. Is it possible they machined it wrong? I should argue that they destroyed my drums and shoes and make them reimburse me for replacement. Or get a refund.

Could y'all clarify if I need to center the shoes once I get the drums on too? I quoted it in my first post.

Thanks,
Kevin
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know what you mean about center, but you need to ajust them through the back, once you get the drums on.
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeni View Post
I dont know what you mean about center, but you need to ajust them through the back, once you get the drums on.
Read the quote in the original post.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_datjeep View Post

Read the quote in the original post.
It says to stand on the pedal after you adjust them and then adjust them again. Supposedly this seats the shoes?
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Pushing the brake pedal will help "center" the shoes to the drum and may get you a slightly better adjustment. That said, I've done dozens of drum brakes (including front) and never did that step, and never had a problem. It'll take you an extra minute, so do it if you want. If your adjusters are working properly, backing up and hitting the brakes a couple times will accomplish the same task.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
Pushing the brake pedal will help "center" the shoes to the drum and may get you a slightly better adjustment. That said, I've done dozens of drum brakes (including front) and never did that step, and never had a problem. It'll take you an extra minute, so do it if you want. If your adjusters are working properly, backing up and hitting the brakes a couple times will accomplish the same task.
Thanks man that really explained it.

Do you have any idea what the problem with my drum is?

Kevin
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks man that really explained it.

Do you have any idea what the problem with my drum is?

Kevin
Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like something got wedged between a shoe and the drum. Can you feel it with your fingernail? If there are no signs of heat cracks, I'd just have it cut and re-use it.

And to give yourself a future project, start hitting some junkyards and find a ZJ with rear disc and gather some parts for a rear disc swap
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's about even with the rest of the surface, just a little rough. There are no cracks. By cutting do you mean to get it turned again?

I've been to almost every junkyard in Houston when I was looking for some seats and most all jeeps are stripped to the frame....or unibody. I kinda like the old school factor drum brakes give though. But for sure, it is sooo much easier working on discs.

If y'all need more pictures let me know and I can take some. Let me know at what angle y'all want it.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone?
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
But for sure, it is sooo much easier working on discs.
I meant it is easier to work on discs.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.