Odd High Eng Temp reading 4.0L 2000 Classic XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
CLASSIC2000MST

Xj Odd High Eng Temp reading 4.0L 2000 Classic XJ

Have a mystery on my hands.... wondering if anyone might have a good clue for me.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic ( XJ ) 4x4 4L engine.

Symptoms....
After several hours of stop and go driving, check gauge light illuminated and eng temp read 240 degrees. Hung a U turn to pull over and temp gauge went to normal ( 210 degrees ). Started down the road again and at a long stop light it happened again but it did not go to normal. Parked car . Popped the hood...No overheating, no rough running engine etc. No smell of coolant or burning. Coolant reservoir was normal. Fluid normal color. No leaks .

Next day started car... in 10 minutes reached normal op temp 210 degrees.... secondary cooling fan came on as normal. I watched the temp gauge for the next 20 minutes and it never got over 220 degrees.

This does not sound like a thermostat... after driving several hours it would have overheated much sooner than the gauge indication. Secondary fan kicked on at the right time. Could this be the temp sensor? temp relay? I have trouble thinking it is the pump.

Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thermostats are cheap and easy. If it is more than 2-3 years old, install a new one, either a Stant Premium, or genuine Jeep.

Overheating at idle, in stop n go traffic, and/or on the 4x4 trials, usually should make one suspect a worn out mechanical fan clutch.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Thermostats are cheap and easy. If it is more than 2-3 years old, install a new one, either a Stant Premium, or genuine Jeep.

Overheating at idle, in stop n go traffic, and/or on the 4x4 trials, usually should make one suspect a worn out mechanical fan clutch.
Agreed with Tim. Also, the temp gauge tends to jump when there's actual steam in the system. So the liquid temp can be 225, but the gauge pegs out. That's still not good, especially for your 0331 head which is prone to crack when overheated, but it explains suddenly jumping high and going back to around 220 after just a brief cooldown period.

Consider doing a chemical flush or two of the system while you're checking the stat and/or the mechanical fan clutch. The XJ's cooling system doesn't have much headroom and really doesn't do well when it's allowed to get clogged. I do a chem flush every other year on my 01, just the basic prestone stuff you can get at a parts store.

BTW if you have a NAPA near you, their store brand "premium" thermostats are degraded stant premium units, so you can grab one cheap without having to wait for online shipping or whatever. Make sure you grab the housing gasket, too.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
CLASSIC2000MST

Many thanks for the ideas......... So here is what I did and it seemed to fix the problem... ... After chewing on the possibilities I decided to try the " simple stuff " first. Changed the thermostat, the temp sensor and radiator cap because it was easy to do. The thermostat was listed at 195 degrees. It took 15 minutes to get up to 210 degrees... and it stayed there for another 10 minutes before the secondary fan kicked it. Then I took it out on the road. After 30 minutes on the road it never got higher than 220 degrees. My guts tell me it was an electrical issue related to that old sensor. But it could also have been the thermostat being old and not opening as it should.... or both. Either way, I have put 100 miles on it since then with no issues. Crossing my fingers that this really solved the problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 PM
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

That didn't take long, Classic2000mst ...you got right on it today.
Hope you're at a solution.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2017, 04:37 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC2000MST View Post
Many thanks for the ideas......... So here is what I did and it seemed to fix the problem... ... After chewing on the possibilities I decided to try the " simple stuff " first. Changed the thermostat, the temp sensor and radiator cap because it was easy to do. The thermostat was listed at 195 degrees. It took 15 minutes to get up to 210 degrees... and it stayed there for another 10 minutes before the secondary fan kicked it. Then I took it out on the road. After 30 minutes on the road it never got higher than 220 degrees. My guts tell me it was an electrical issue related to that old sensor. But it could also have been the thermostat being old and not opening as it should.... or both. Either way, I have put 100 miles on it since then with no issues. Crossing my fingers that this really solved the problem.
well done.

I'd still suggest that flush when you get time, though. 220's pretty warm for this early in the year, even as a peak in traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
CLASSIC2000MST

Now on to the next project..... replacing the sagging head liner. Somehow I don't think that will be much fun.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Now on to the next project..... replacing the sagging head liner. Somehow I don't think that will be much fun.
It's really not bad. Make sure you get ALL the old foam scraped off the old board so the new adhesive has a good hold and it's fairly simple.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
CLASSIC2000MST

Question..... what do you think of not replacing the foam and the liner ?. I read one post about a guy who just cleaned it completely and then painted it. Seems a heck of a lot easier..... but then the question will be noise. Will giving up the liner and the foam make for a noisy ride?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Question..... what do you think of not replacing the foam and the liner ?. I read one post about a guy who just cleaned it completely and then painted it. Seems a heck of a lot easier..... but then the question will be noise. Will giving up the liner and the foam make for a noisy ride?
I bedlined mine, not really any noticeable difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.