Occasional chirp/squeal from clutch?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
360Dusted

Occasional chirp/squeal from clutch??

I have a problem that just started this past week on my 1993 XJ with 4.0L and AX-15 trans. Sometimes while putting the clutch in (pressing the pedal) and coming to a stop either with the clutch in our out in Neutral I get a weird high-pitched grinding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch, almost like the flywheel is scraping against the inspection plate but I know that would only happen if the crankshaft had a trashed thrust bearing (or the inspection plate is loose, I need to check). The real issue is that I almost can't accelerate in reverse at all; if I try to slip the clutch it immediately starts "bucking" and I have to either feather the clutch off and on or just let it out fast if I'm on a slippery surface. This second problem only started the same time the noise started. I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch needs to be redone anyway, it had a new one put in just before I bought it with 180k on the odometer and since then I've put almost 50k hard miles on it. I have no experience working on clutches but I would most likely do the repair myself as I know it's a $1000+ job just for labor and I did successfully replace a bad slave cylinder/throwout bearing about 5 years ago.

Probably not related but I ordered Brown Dog motor mounts I noticed my shifter moves an excessive amount and I can feel the drivetrain jumping around when I'm pushing it hard especially with 4x4 engaged, it's one of those things that has steadily gotten worse over time and I'm sick of it happening lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

That grinding noise is from you push bearing it has been damaged and its not backing up all the way, when u press the clutch the bearing is spinning with the tranny shaft and grinding on the clutch fin plate

This will take out ur clutch fins resulting in a new clutch and bearing that needs to be replaced

Your engine mount issue is ur tranny mount now is worn out, as the stock mounts had more give in them while the engine is shaking and u replaced them with stiffer mounts thus all the shaking is going in to the tranny bushing mount causing the bad shaking in ur shifter

I just did a clutch replacement on my 98, make sure u remove the whole tranny out when I did mine I had to drop it and take it out from under the jeep for have good room to tourqe the bolts and such I also changed the oil in the tccase and tranny at the same time

Does it sound like this? This was on my 2014 wrangler https://youtu.be/Fh3Fg-G9Cys
post #3 of 3 Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
360Dusted

It does kind of sound like that, makes sense it would be the bearing. I looked at the troubleshooting section of my FSM and it pointed to a bad pilot or throwout bearing. I think the input shaft bearing is also going bad as it makes a light but noticeable noise when idling in Neutral with the clutch out (pedal let go), separate from the grinding noise.

About the mounts I actually have replaced the trans mount but not the engine mounts, I just ordered new ones of those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.