OBD2 - Second Opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > OBD2 - Second Opinion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

OBD2 - Second Opinion

My XJ decided to go for a little walk in the water and ended up getting stuck pretty deep.

Now that it's all dried out and I have time to work on it again, I noticed I had a CEL. No big deal I thought, I'll just plug in my code reader and see what's up.
Nope. Not going to happen. The OBD2 plug is corroded so much that the wires have become detached from the connecter itself. I don't have and great pictures, I'll try again tonight to see what I can get.

Here's a link to the thread I had up from when it was in the water.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...02/index2.html

Should I try to salvage the current OBD2 port and make it work? Cut it out and install a new one? Any other options?

Thanks

mcbeth059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth059 View Post
My XJ decided to go for a little walk in the water and ended up getting stuck pretty deep.

Now that it's all dried out and I have time to work on it again, I noticed I had a CEL. No big deal I thought, I'll just plug in my code reader and see what's up.
Nope. Not going to happen. The OBD2 plug is corroded so much that the wires have become detached from the connecter itself. I don't have and great pictures, I'll try again tonight to see what I can get.

Here's a link to the thread I had up from when it was in the water.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...02/index2.html

Should I try to salvage the current OBD2 port and make it work? Cut it out and install a new one? Any other options?

Thanks
Is the Data Link Connector all ate up a product of takng a swim or do you think its been working at it for awhile.

I would be concerned about other connectors under the dash as well, and the Junction Block in the passenger footwell. Check the JB.

Anyway, replace the DLC.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
mcbeth059
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Is the Data Link Connector all ate up a product of takng a swim or do you think its been working at it for awhile.

I would be concerned about other connectors under the dash as well, and the Junction Block in the passenger footwell. Check the JB.

Anyway, replace the DLC.
I'm almost positive it's just from its water sports.
I have already checked/replaced any connectors that I could. And I haven't noticed any other corrosion on any other connectors.
mcbeth059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.