obd1 computer-obd2 intake manifold and throttle body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > obd1 computer-obd2 intake manifold and throttle body

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
jeepguy8824

obd1 computer-obd2 intake manifold and throttle body

I have an 87 cherokee with the 4.0L. I cracked the block so had to rebuild a new one. I used a 96 as the donor block. During the build, someone stole my original intake manifold from my garage. I probably left the door open all night.. so i used the 96 manifold but had to get a new throttle body for it. Now ive run into the problem of wire/sensor connectors being totally different.. i really cant afford to go back to an obd1 intake and throttle body as i am already 500 bucks into this one.. so someone, PLEASE HELP! Please help me to get this thing running again. I have all the wiring from the 96 so if splicing is what i have to do, thats fine, im just lost and need some direction so i can get back on the trail... thanks and happy wheeling.

jeepguy8824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
'87 engine is a Renix, which is not OBD1- compliant. Most of the sensors and connectors on the Renix engines are different from the '91-'95 OBD1 and the '96-'01 OBDII engines. However, you can use a HO block & head on a Renix, but the easiest way to make other things work is to use the intake manifold and exhaust from a Renix - otherwise you'll got a lot to do. You can fab an adapter to use a Renix TB on a HO intake, but the sensor issue is still there, among a few other things.

Also keep in mind you need the flex plate from your renix engine, HO flexplate is different from the renix ones.. HO engines also lack knock sensor, but IIRC some of the HO blocks have an unthreaded hole for the sensor mounting bolt.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
jeepguy8824

Ya but im still at that road block of the fact that I just spent hundreds of dollars on the new throttle body. I cant afford to go buy another TB AND another intake manifold. I understand its going to be hard but its not impossible and thats why im asking for help.
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

What sensors are giving you an issue? IAT should have a place. TPS needs to be adapted to the HO throttle body.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
jeepguy8824

well, the HO TB has 3 sensor spots. TPS, IAT, and i think MAF. The original harness in the jeep has only 2 connectors at the firewall side of the engine that dont plug in, then there are a couple more plugs without homes at the fromt of the valve cover on the same harness. There are 2 more plugs coming out of the harness even further down that same part of the harness too but i know that one is a O2 and the other is my knock sensor. There is also an O2 sensor on top of the intake manifold that needs to be plugged in as well.
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

HO throttle body should have TPS, MAP and IAC. O2 is in the exhaust and knock sensor is at the bottom driver's side of the block.

Unread 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
jeepguy8824

yes, TPS, MAP, IAC. so what is the sensor sticking out of the top of the manifold that appears to also be O2? 2 short wires runing into a female 2 port plug. The sensor itself screws into the top of the manifold. I know one of those wires at the firewall goes to the sensor that is hooked to the upper bell housing of the tranny (cant remember name) I just now remembered. or at least i think/hope so
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Intake air temp. CPS on the bell housing. That shouldn't change.
cps-wire-routing.jpg

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
jeepguy8824

Thats an awesome pic. That sensor wont change. Youre right. So do you think the sensor wires at the front valve cover end are the ones that need to come back to the TB? Then, what about that sensor on top of the manifold?
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

One 3 wire flat and one 4 wire square connector? If so, yes.

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
jeepguy8824

you're awesome! Now i feel as tho im getting somewhere. so I do have a three wire flat. and I do have a 4 prong Square. but it only has three wires. 1 is plugged. then there is another 4 wire flat that looks a little different than the other style of connectors.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy8824 View Post
you're awesome! Now i feel as tho im getting somewhere. so I do have a three wire flat. and I do have a 4 prong Square. but it only has three wires. 1 is plugged. then there is another 4 wire flat that looks a little different than the other style of connectors.
Renix TPS plugs into the flat 3 wire and the square 4 wire that only has 3 wires in it.

Either get me a photo, or better yet a photo and colors of the wires on the yet unidentified connector.

Unread 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
jeepguy8824

My phone refuses to send this pic anywhere... but it is meant for 4 small flat blade male inserts running horizontally across the connector. it has a blue/yellow stripe wire, a green/brown stripe wire, a pink/black stripe wire, and a red/yellow stripe wire. plug is almost an inch wide and appears to be the male connector yet accepts the flat blades like a female from the female port. hope thats not too confusing
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy8824 View Post
My phone refuses to send this pic anywhere... but it is meant for 4 small flat blade male inserts running horizontally across the connector. it has a blue/yellow stripe wire, a green/brown stripe wire, a pink/black stripe wire, and a red/yellow stripe wire. plug is almost an inch wide and appears to be the male connector yet accepts the flat blades like a female from the female port. hope thats not too confusing
That's Idle Air Controller.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.