OBD code p0456 how to fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > OBD code p0456 how to fix?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
multmigs
2003 WJ 

OBD code p0456 how to fix?

for several months I get a occasion CEL which comes on and usually stays on for several days, I have a code reader and repeatedly have gotten just code P0456 and have cleared it out which last for a bit and then it just comes on again whenever. No problem with how the jeep runs this is a 2000 XJ all stock powertrain 123K. I initially thought this was a bad gas cap again, which I went through years ago and finally replaced but when I googled the code I found this type of info instead. Apparently this particular code is in reference to a very small leak of the Evap system and i'm guessing that I have a loose of pinched vac line somewhere, my problem is how to I go about methodically chasing this down???

The LDP, (leak detection pump) is located in the left/front corner of engine compartment below the air cleaner housing. It is mounted to left/front inner fender sheet metal. The LDP and LDP filter are replaced (serviced) as one unit.

But you will want to check all the vacuum lines and hoses before you replace the pump. Here is a service bulletin that will explain it better than I can.

As far as it being expensive..I don't think it would be all that much, but you have to get it from the dealer, so, that's up to them. That's how they get us, (lol)

EVAP System - Leak Detection Pump Misdiagnosis
Notes

NUMBER: 18-01-00

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: Feb. 4, 2000

SUBJECT:
Misdiagnosed Leak Detection Pump Systems With DTC P1494, P0442, P0455, OR P0456

MODELS:
1997 - 2000 (AB) Ram Van
1997 - 2000 (AN) Dakota
1997 - 2000 (BR/BE) Ram truck
1998 - 2000 (DN) Durango
1997 - 2000 (FJ) Avenger/Sebring/Talon
1997 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
1997 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible
1997 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/3OOMNision
1997 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/CaravanNoyager
1997 - 2000 (PL) Neon
1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler
1997 - 2000 (SR) ViperNiper GIS
1997 - 2000 (TJ) Wrangler
1999 - 2000 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
1997 - 2000 (XJ) Cherokee
1997 - 1998 (ZJ) GrandCherokee

DISCUSSION:
During evaporative system diagnosis, Leak Detection Pumps have mistakenly been replaced. A thorough inspection for pinched, kinked, or disconnected supply vacuum lines (as currently listed in the Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures) is a critical step in diagnosing DTC P1494 (LDP SW OR MECHANICAL FAULT). Additionally, the other evaporative leak faults (DTC P0442 - SMALL LEAK, P0455 - LARGE LEAK, and P0456 - VERY SMALL LEAK) should have the supply vacuum lines examined for pinches or kinks prior to any LDP component replacement.

Anyone been through this?

multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
A thorough inspection for pinched, kinked, or disconnected supply vacuum lines is a critical step in diagnosing................ Additionally, the other evaporative leak faults (DTC P0442 - SMALL LEAK, P0455 - LARGE LEAK, and P0456 - VERY SMALL LEAK) should have the supply vacuum lines examined for pinches or kinks prior to any LDP component replacement.
Physically trace and inspect the vacuum lines from the LDP to the charcoal cannister near the drivers side rear upper shock mount. Look for damaged hose or loose/cracked rubber fittings on the tubes.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Buffalo Todd
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same truck/same issue. Any chance you smell gas when you first turn it on in the morning, but then not through-out the day?

I am going to check for that kinked/cracked hose but I'm not sure where the canister is?

Thanks.
Buffalo Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Todd View Post
...I'm not sure where the canister is?
Bolted to the underside of the floor on the drivers side, directly below the rear passenger seat. Crawl under and look for the mini 6"x6" skid plate covering it.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
multmigs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Todd View Post
I have the same truck/same issue. Any chance you smell gas when you first turn it on in the morning, but then not through-out the day?

I am going to check for that kinked/cracked hose but I'm not sure where the canister is?

Thanks.
i have on occasion, but not every day, and the light keeps coming back on, it has even gone so long that occasionally it turns off by itself for a week and then comes back, I'll try to get a look at the canister one of these days.. I fear my coming state inspection will fail
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
multmigs
2003 WJ 

still banging my head on this one and it does definately smell like gas on occasion when u first start up, I've looked at all the hose connections and they are all still intact, very flexible rubber, some were covered in mud, I removed them cleaned up a bit and put back on still nothing.. is the canister itself somehow suspect?
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

never forget.. a faulty fuel cap can also cause the p0456. but if you can smell fuel in the morning it probly is the canister. they can crack hairline and leak.
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
multmigs
2003 WJ 

Just to confirm this, I pulled the part located under the rear of the jeep, this is the canister correct? there didn't seem to be any sign of leaking and I plugged 2 of the inlets and then used my air compressor to put about 10 psi of air into it which made is swell slightly but nothing obviously leaked, a;sp checked all the lines, they were all very good looking, not sure why but I can't find any that are dry rotted or cracked as others seem to report. There was a crap ton of mud/dirt everywhere so I cleaned all that as much as possible and reinstalled using some grease hopefully to help stop any tiny leaks. Cleared the codes stored which were the original plus the large leak which is from puttin the key to on by accident when I started and had the lines disconnected already. When I restarted I didn't get a fuel smell and no CEL light yet. I may just go buy a new MOPAR gascap in the morning otherwise I can't think of anything else to do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.