O2 sensor fail (P0161) Where is sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > O2 sensor fail (P0161) Where is sensor?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
nerdkiller

O2 sensor fail (P0161) Where is sensor?

I have the reading from autozone. Here's the following:

aa1 - Oxygen sensor defective
aa2 - Pooor connection at Oxygen sensor
aa3 - Check circuit-fuse

For a non technical person how can I determine the solution. I already reset the CEL and it came back a few hours later. I found this fuse diagram: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm

But not sure which is which.

Aside from checking the fuse where do I check the O2 connection?

I assume if those 2 dont solve it then the sensor itself is defective.

I'm still within the used car warranty but don't want to drive an hour or more just to have someone else change a fuse or jiggle a connection.

thanks all,

Nick

nerdkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

If it falls under warranty any Jeep dealer should fix it
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
nerdkiller

Look's like sensor #2 based on the AZ print out. See the attached scan.
scan0029.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
nerdkiller

Didn't buy it from a jeep dealer. It just falls under the New York State 30 day used car return warranty. If the place was nearby I'd go over there and let them check, but with average traffic it's over 2 hours roundtrip on a week day.

Should be a simple fix, or at least easy to rule out the fuse and the o2 connection right? Long as I know where to look?
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Knowing what year XJ we are working on would be helpful.....but the fact that it is OBD2 tells me its probably above a 97.....I'm going to guess 99

The O2 sensor fuse is in the PDC....and it is fuse #24

The upstream and downstream heaters are both controlled by that fuse, so I doubt its bad....but it never hurts to check.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
nerdkiller

[QUOTE=Holder350;10809118]Knowing what year XJ we are working on would be helpful.

It's a 2000 w/ 94k miles. Thanks, I'll check fuse. first.!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.