NSS - To OEM or Not To OEM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NSS - To OEM or Not To OEM?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
showes

NSS - To OEM or Not To OEM?

2000 XJ Limited 4.0 Automatic.
Had Neutral Safety Switch problems 12 months ago. Removed, cleaned, replaced my NSS using guidelines posted on this forum and it worked perfect until 2 weeks ago when I started having trouble starting it in park again. A few days after my start-in-park problem, my check engine light came on (which didn't happen 12 months ago) and I had the code pulled. It indicated a NSS problem (code=0705). I did some searching on this forum and found the combination of the code and NSS issue was probably related to the NSS being slightly misaligned. I check back-up lights and confirmed they were not lighting up. I loosened the NSS adjusting screw and tried to find a spot where I could tighten it down with both the back-up lights working and the car starting in park. However, no matter where I tighten it down, seems I can only get one issue resolved at a time (either start easily in park or have the back-up lights work). I'm thinking it may be time to just replace the NSS. Does anyone agree / disagree? I can buy an OEM for about $290 or an aftermarket one manufactured by Crown Automotive for about $140. Does anybody have comments about the performance of the Crown Auto part?

Thanks much,

Last edited by showes; 06-07-2010 at 03:46 PM..
showes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The NSS for a late 90's Camry is identical to the Jeep (AW4 that is). I don't know about the connectors but the part is the same. $170 is just too much.
Unread 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If i were in this boat i would just bypass the the NSS, Ive talked to people that did it when the converted it to AX-15's and it worked fine.

Not sure on the specifics thou

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
JHamar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am dealing with this same thing. Mine is cracked and now gives me a check engine light. So yeah. I need to go to autozone and see what specific code it says. Anyway, here is what I found.

1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee Neutral Safety Switch - Replacement - Direct OE replacement

I am not sure on if it works or not. But its ~60$.
JHamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by showes View Post
2000 XJ Limited 4.0 Automatic.

I'm thinking it may be time to just replace the NSS. Does anyone agree / disagree? I can buy an OEM for about $290 or an aftermarket one manufactured by Crown Automotive for about $140. Does anybody have comments about the performance of the Crown Auto part?

Thanks much,
OR, you can just clean the NSS again, as long as it's not cracked. Use a small pick and make sure you clean out the slots where the small contact plates and springs sit.

You can find used ones on eBay for about $50 but the link jhamar posted is almost too good to be real!
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Kermit97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I found one on ebay same part number as the $150 one on Q-tec for $44.95...gonna try and tackle this weekend. I too was sick of reading the high costs on sites...hope the op got the situation resolved! my backup lights dont work and I have no 4th gear, starts fine though..
Kermit97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I paid 220 at advance. I wish I would have tried Ebay one.
Good luck and let us know.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

OEM one is the best in reliability, but yes....expensive. To be honest, I haven't heard a lot of bad news about aftermarket NSS units though, so in this case, I would consider purchasing one. But not a cheap one from ebay. Too many horror stories about anything relating to automotive electrical, UNLESS the brand name is confirmed!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a cheap $50ish one from Ebay and it's been working fine now for about two months.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cel , neutral safety switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.