NSS Bypass/Starting Oddities - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NSS Bypass/Starting Oddities

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

NSS Bypass/Starting Oddities

First, on Christmas Eve day my 1998 sport wouldn't start. It acted like the battery was dead. The engine cranked VERY slowly, and eventually didn't start. All other features worked fine. I hooked up my jump box, but the battery status light on it said the battery was just fine. I put the jump box away and it started normally. Then, I drove it about 20 minutes and ran some errands. On my final stop to pick up some cards, it wouldn't start. No cranking, no clicking....nothing. It was just dead aside from the electronics.

I called a tow truck and had it towed home. I decided to mess around with it, thinking the NSS was bad. Sure enough, I dipped into my Volvo knowledge from messed up NSS parts. We used to take care of no start issues by doing what was called a "ratchet cleaning." This meant moving the shifter all the way from park to low gears and back multiple times at a quick but careful pace. This would clean the contacts on the swing arm of the sensor.

It worked for me on the Cherokee this time as well and didn't have any issues with it.

Moving on...

I know how to bypass the NSS, however, in my searches, I get conflicting information.

Some say that by doing a bypass of the B and C wires disables cruise control. Other people sale that they have no issues with the bypass and all options function normally. I want to be able to bypass the starting function of the sensor, not the transmission shifting part. I believe there is a way to do that with the two wires from the sensor?

I am generally fan of replacing, rebuilding, or cleaning parts the right way and the first time. However, it's freezing outside and I really do not have a place to work on it until spring time.

What other information do I need to know about doing the bypass?

Please refrain from extraneous posts about "safety" or starting the car in gears. Sorry, but if one cannot figure out how to put the vehicle in park or neutral to start a vehicle, they shouldn't drive. I'm looking for what features of my XJ will/won't work. Lights, codes, etc.

All help is much appreciated

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
First, on Christmas Eve day my 1998 sport wouldn't start. It acted like the battery was dead. The engine cranked VERY slowly, and eventually didn't start. All other features worked fine. I hooked up my jump box, but the battery status light on it said the battery was just fine. I put the jump box away and it started normally. Then, I drove it about 20 minutes and ran some errands. On my final stop to pick up some cards, it wouldn't start. No cranking, no clicking....nothing. It was just dead aside from the electronics.

I called a tow truck and had it towed home. I decided to mess around with it, thinking the NSS was bad. Sure enough, I dipped into my Volvo knowledge from messed up NSS parts. We used to take care of no start issues by doing what was called a "ratchet cleaning." This meant moving the shifter all the way from park to low gears and back multiple times at a quick but careful pace. This would clean the contacts on the swing arm of the sensor.

It worked for me on the Cherokee this time as well and didn't have any issues with it.

Moving on...

I know how to bypass the NSS, however, in my searches, I get conflicting information.

Some say that by doing a bypass of the B and C wires disables cruise control. Other people sale that they have no issues with the bypass and all options function normally. I want to be able to bypass the starting function of the sensor, not the transmission shifting part. I believe there is a way to do that with the two wires from the sensor?

I am generally fan of replacing, rebuilding, or cleaning parts the right way and the first time. However, it's freezing outside and I really do not have a place to work on it until spring time.

What other information do I need to know about doing the bypass?

Please refrain from extraneous posts about "safety" or starting the car in gears. Sorry, but if one cannot figure out how to put the vehicle in park or neutral to start a vehicle, they shouldn't drive. I'm looking for what features of my XJ will/won't work. Lights, codes, etc.

All help is much appreciated
I know its cold out but if you just take it off (not that hard maybe took me 5mins) Then take it inside to clean it wouldn't be so bad. it will probably take longer to do the bypass
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea... cleaning your nss is really easy and pretty quick ... and all but 20 min of it can be done in doors if you want.
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the worst part for me is I got the harness stuck near the bell housing and it took me like 3 min to get that thing out ... so when you unplug it just drop it down really quick and your easy money.

take out the lock nut first... then the two bolts and slide it (with a little force) right off. ... some people mark its position, but i didn't. just took it off, put it back on and everything worked perfect. (just pull it strait out and don't move the trans side after that)
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
CJAX98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Same problem...

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. Sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition, there's nothing--no clicking, no turning over, just nothing. However, I usually just take the car out of gear (manual transmission) and then put it back in gear, apply the clutch, and try it again. Sometimes it starts right away, and sometimes it takes three or four times. Like the previous poster, all the other electronics work fine.

So, my question is---what's the NSS? If all I have to do is take it out and clean it, then that sounds like the thing to do. I'm worried I'll be calling Triple AAA sometime soon if I don't get this fixed.
CJAX98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You don't have a NSS on a manual transmission ... and it doesn't care if it is started in gear or not.

It pays attention to the clutch. There's a switch on the clutch pedal somewhere that tells it when the clutch is pressed. They occasionally go bad.
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

On page 5 of my build tread there is a guide to remove and clean your nss, and some pics when I did mine... it was sooo bad... I should really just replace it but it seems to be holding strong ...
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My bellhousing and tranny side is totally dry and the NSS looks fine. I know that does NOT matter, but hmm.

I am having troubles getting it to actually crank strong. I'm thinking there is some combination of bad grounds, starter, or alternator with a mix of the NSS.
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got the starter off, but broke one of the threaded studs on the solenoid. I wanted to have it tested before buying a new one, but oh well.

I cleaned the contacts on the wires TO the starter. New battery and terminals, so that connection will be good once I get the new starter.

I'm going to bypass the NSS until spring, when I'll go get a new one for it. I'm not messing around with cleaning it right now. It shifts fine too.

Hopefully this fixes it. Otherwise I'm going to suspect the connections to the alternator or the alternator itself. I mean, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a new starter, alternator, and battery in the winter as it is. Especially with the Jeep sitting at 180,000 miles. For the cost of these things through eBay (About $40 with a lifetime warranty), I could get one from a junk yard 4.0L and clean it up to have as a spare.

I have a new CPS in there as well.

I do need to replace the valve cover gasket because it's leaking fairly decently and has years of crud caked on it. It needs a full engine bay detail.
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post
I got the starter off, but broke one of the threaded studs on the solenoid. I wanted to have it tested before buying a new one, but oh well.

I cleaned the contacts on the wires TO the starter. New battery and terminals, so that connection will be good once I get the new starter.

I'm going to bypass the NSS until spring, when I'll go get a new one for it. I'm not messing around with cleaning it right now. It shifts fine too.

Hopefully this fixes it. Otherwise I'm going to suspect the connections to the alternator or the alternator itself. I mean, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a new starter, alternator, and battery in the winter as it is. Especially with the Jeep sitting at 180,000 miles. For the cost of these things through eBay (About $40 with a lifetime warranty), I could get one from a junk yard 4.0L and clean it up to have as a spare.

I have a new CPS in there as well.

I do need to replace the valve cover gasket because it's leaking fairly decently and has years of crud caked on it. It needs a full engine bay detail.
Yup .... That about sound right for a jeep.

That's how my jeep is ... Has some miles and the other owners didn't take care of it ...... So long story short .... The jeep just needs a lot of love .... No big deal all easy stuff really. And be careful buying some of those cheap crappy parts, if you plan on keeping your jeep. Like I said in my other post ..... It's way better to just do it right the first time
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
cpttuna
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For what it is worth. My 01 would not start. I tried for about 0ne hour to get the NSS off. I could not get it off. I played with it enough that I got the jeep to start. I tightened things back up and (knock on wood), have not had a problem since.
cpttuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The starter may have been my problem.

I was going to pop it off to test it at Advance, considering it takes 30 minutes or less to remove. I broke it getting it off (Don't ask how, because I don't even know.)

So, I had to buy a new one. It fires right up on the second or third rotation now!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.