Np231 Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Np231 Problems

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Shyster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Np231 Problems

Hey guys

I've been having some problems with my t/c after installing an SYE kit. It is generally hard and clunky to shift with either the linkage or the lever on the case. Going from 2H to 4H seems to be the hardest transition but when I can get it to go all of the modes seem to work properly after a little crunching and/or grinding initially. Another odd and perhaps telling thing is that when the t/c is in neutral and I try to put the tranny in park there is a light grinding noise and the tranny eventually crunches into park.

I've adjusted the linkage as per the FSM and it did seem to make a slight difference and I had no problems with the linkage before my lift/SYE. Also, all of the pads on the shift forks are good

Does this sound like a linkage thing or should I be pulling the case? If I need to pull what should I be looking for?

Thanks
Shaun

Shyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did you install a Hack & Tap SYE or did you you disassemble the case and install a Heavy Duty SYE ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Shyster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's a rugged ridge Heavy duty
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would guess that you have a linkage adjustment problem and just to need to try the procedure again.

Any problems with the SYE install or leftover parts ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Shyster
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, no problems and no left over parts. I think I'm gonna pick up the Novak cable shifter kit, just because I never liked the way the jeeps shifted in the first place, hopefully this solves my problem.

Tags
2000 , cherokee , np231 , problem , shifting

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.