NP231 or NP242 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NP231 or NP242

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #31
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

aww boo.. I always read of everyone ditching the 242..figured I'd be the first/different lol.
The rear locker will be cool..and still have full time and honestly you can get a SYE & HNT for the 242 if I ever feel the need.
I just got my waggy clip on, so maybe now I'll go big! Big waggy Xj's are so sick!

DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
j69gordon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
The 231 is a stronger more reliable t-case, but if you do a lot of driving on icy snowy roads the 242 can be used in fulltime 4x4 without having to go from 2wd to 4wd as the conditions change. The 231 can not be driven in 4wd on pavement when traction is good. The swap will require a small amount of wiring to make the fulltime light work, but it is mostly a bolt in swap.
this is incorrect the input shaft of the 242 is 21 spline and the input shaft of the 231 is 23 spline, you can swap, however you need to tear apart the cases and swap input shafts, the rear driveshaft will fit fine, but the front will need to modified, because the front yolk is different. Also the linkage is not the same, if you swap a 231 in the 4 wheel drive shifter will need to be in the pulled back location for 2 wheel drive, and pushed forward for 4 wheel drive ( I am sure this could be fixed with a bit of ingenuity...)

now some 321's have 21 spline and this is a non issue, be sure to check it all out before getting to deep

Last edited by j69gordon; 04-15-2012 at 07:00 PM..
j69gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
JT7771

231 vs 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
What are the disadvantages and advantages of the 2 transfercases? and i have the 231 now but have a friend that has a 242 in his xj that he wrecked and told me i can take the tcase if i want before he starts parting it out. so would i be able to pull the 231 and put the 242 in without any major mods?
Hey Man, keep me in mind which ever T'case you don't want I will be happy tae off of your hands. I have a 231 now that has a hole through both cases. feel free to hit me up at JThornton7771@gmail.com
JT7771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #34
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by j69gordon View Post
this is incorrect the input shaft of the 242 is 21 spline and the input shaft of the 231 is 23 spline, you can swap, however you need to tear apart the cases and swap input shafts, the rear driveshaft will fit fine, but the front will need to modified, because the front yolk is different. Also the linkage is not the same, if you swap a 231 in the 4 wheel drive shifter will need to be in the pulled back location for 2 wheel drive, and pushed forward for 4 wheel drive ( I am sure this could be fixed with a bit of ingenuity...)

now some 321's have 21 spline and this is a non issue, be sure to check it all out before getting to deep
Check your facts, since pretty much everything your wrote is incorrect.

Both - 242s and 231s - come in 21 spline and 23 spline versions, it is dependant on the yearmodel of the XJ and which engine/ tranny is used. Basically all '91 and later XJs have 23 spline input shafts no matter which transmission/ engine/ TC combination is in question.

242s and 231s have the same 1310-series yokes on front output. Also front output is in the same location in relation to TC front mounting surface, so you can use the same front DS on both 231 and 242 as long as you're not doing any other drivetrain modifications that would require custom length shafts. There are a few different rear outputs (internal and external slip yoke, some XJs came with PTOs that had flange mounts for rear DS). The overall length on the 231 and 242 are slightly different so rear DS will or will not fit, depending on the possible lift height, rear DS being used, etc..

231 and 242 use the same linkage on the XJ so you do not need to swap the linkage when swapping TCs. Both t- cases have 2wd in the same location on the bezels (all the way forward), the difference is in 4wd modes and neutral position -> shift bezels are different and need to be changed when doing a TC swap. Or just ditch the bezels and go by the feel

231 modes are 2wd-4hi-n-4lo
242 modes are 2wd-4hi-4ft-n-4lo

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #35
jpndave
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Check your facts, since pretty much everything your wrote is incorrect.

Both - 242s and 231s - come in 21 spline and 23 spline versions, it is dependant on the yearmodel of the XJ and which engine/ tranny is used. Basically all '91 and later XJs have 23 spline input shafts no matter which transmission/ engine/ TC combination is in question.

242s and 231s have the same 1310-series yokes on front output. Also front output is in the same location in relation to TC front mounting surface, so you can use the same front DS on both 231 and 242 as long as you're not doing any other drivetrain modifications that would require custom length shafts. There are a few different rear outputs (internal and external slip yoke, some XJs came with PTOs that had flange mounts for rear DS). The overall length on the 231 and 242 are slightly different so rear DS will or will not fit, depending on the possible lift height, rear DS being used, etc..

231 and 242 use the same linkage on the XJ so you do not need to swap the linkage when swapping TCs. Both t- cases have 2wd in the same location on the bezels (all the way forward), the difference is in 4wd modes and neutral position -> shift bezels are different and need to be changed when doing a TC swap. Or just ditch the bezels and go by the feel

231 modes are 2wd-4hi-n-4lo
242 modes are 2wd-4hi-4ft-n-4lo
Timo is correct. Thanks for clearing that up.
jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #36
j69gordon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i just swapped from a 242 to a 231 in my stock height 93 zj.
I cant post pics in here yet, but here are links to a couple, they show the planetary with input coupler, and without.... clearly different
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...on/inputs2.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...caseinputs.jpg
the left is out of the 242(with 21 splines), and the right from the 231(with 23 splines) so I was speaking from my personal experience. If that steered someone wrong, I apologize
j69gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #37
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
There are two dofferent planateries for both 231 and 242 - straight cut and helicat cut. Design change was around 1994 or so. I can't remeber if the input gears interchange between 231s and 242s with similar gear cuts - they may very well be different - but the yokes are exactly the same 1310 series so same DSs can be used.

Also, input gears can be changed, so depending on which spline count you have on the tranny output, you choose the input gear based on that. Keep in mind this as well:
* there are three different input shaft lengths used on Jeeps with 231 or 242
* there are different thicknesses for input gear bearing size, so the precision machined length for bearing mating surface can be different
* there are two different gear cut styles on the Jeep 231s and 242s

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #38
jpndave
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
There are two dofferent planateries for both 231 and 242 - straight cut and helicat cut. Design change was around 1994 or so. I can't remeber if the input gears interchange between 231s and 242s with similar gear cuts - they may very well be different - but the yokes are exactly the same 1310 series so same DSs can be used.

Also, input gears can be changed, so depending on which spline count you have on the tranny output, you choose the input gear based on that. Keep in mind this as well:
* there are three different input shaft lengths used on Jeeps with 231 or 242
* there are different thicknesses for input gear bearing size, so the precision machined length for bearing mating surface can be different
* there are two different gear cut styles on the Jeep 231s and 242s
There are indeed two different angles/profiles on the helical gears in these transfer cases at the break you specify. Neither are straight cut. The earlier 207/208 are straight cut but all of the 231/242 are helical cut. Gears interchange through all the different transfer case models (except the 241OR Rubicon case) of similar year (angle) and bearing width (there is another exception here on the later 241J JK case which uses a wide bearing). Early gears use the wider bearing and later gears the narrow. So, if you are doing some swapping and the the bearing widths don't match, that is a red flag that your helix angles are different. There are three different lengths. To my knowledge, the only interference problem is the AX15 which will sometimes hit with a long input gear. The shorts will sometimes miss the seal in the adapter.

HTH,

Dave
jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #39
RainShadow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Command vs Selec Trac

Question:
COMMAND TRAC = NP 231
SELEC TRAC = NP 242

NP231 sits higher = more ground clearance

ARE THESE CORRECT ???

Thanks , Randy
RainShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainShadow
Question:
COMMAND TRAC = NP 231
SELEC TRAC = NP 242

NP231 sits higher = more ground clearance

ARE THESE CORRECT ???

Thanks , Randy
Those are correct

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
xj_96_FP

2000 XJ Cherokee 

here's a question, i have a 96 with a 242 with sye kit that was flooded by Sandy, i bought a 2000 stock with a 231, and want to swap everything over, can i swap with out mods or do i need to change anything?
xj_96_FP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #42
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can. You need to swap the linkage and bezel too. There's a write-up

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.