np 231j transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > np 231j transfer case

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
kimjose1518
1992 XJ Cherokee 

np 231j transfer case

I just pulled the tcase out of a 89 xj and was going to put it in my 92 xj but the connectors for the spodometer and light indicators are diffrent. Can anyone help me out how to change them?

kimjose1518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

only connectors in it are different? what trans you got there, just thinking that input axle spline count...

for the wiring, just change that light switch and speedometer drive from your old tc
Rytari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
kimjose1518
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well the speedometer cable screws into the transfer case out of the 89. My 92 has 2 electric plug ins. The 89 has 4 vacuum lines that plug into it.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

vacuum lines are for disconnect type d30 front axle... your 92 dont need those either...
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
kimjose1518
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How do I hook up my speedometer on my 92 to that transfer case?
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

look the picture above, take out 89´s speedometer cable rotating unit and change electric sender and gear from your old one, just small "spring plate", (little similar than distributors have) holding that down...

just notice that sender and gear are not centered in the plug, there is some slots on top of the cap where spring plate lids go an hold it in position

look how it is fitted in old case and assemble in same position in new case to maintain tooth contact for the gear...
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

and still asking... what transmission you got?
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
kimjose1518
1992 XJ Cherokee 

its a automatic transmition
my big problem is that I bought it with no transfer case so I dont have any old parts and I am going in blind here lol
Unread 03-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjose1518 View Post
its a automatic transmition
my big problem is that I bought it with no transfer case so I dont have any old parts and I am going in blind here lol
aw4 ? just remember that in those, output shaft spline count changes from 21 to 23 splines with H.O engine.

so 89 transfer case input wont fit to 92 automatic trans

also transfer case behind some amnual gearbox wont might not fit... but if you have that automatic also from older one it should be fine.

Tags
np 231 , transfer case , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.