now that I got a Daily driver.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > now that I got a Daily driver....

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

now that I got a Daily driver....

its time for me to start working on my XJ.

I have few questions to start with.

I'm going to do a 3" lift. but before anything (the 1st mod) will be BFG MTs. I'm going to put 31s on there. I Know they will rub with stock suspension on u-turns and full flexes, but how bad is it? I mean driving in straight lines can't be THAT bad right?

what is the stock clearance with 31x10.5 tires? (i know the patriot is 9 with the trail rating package)

what about stock water fording? I know patriot is 19 on the trail rated version.

just wanted to know these few things

thx!

Unread 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
severous01

i had 31's and stock for the longest. only on full flex in the rear only, and full turns did i have a problem. and it wasnt bad, not like ripping apart my tires or anything. just some slight rubbing. and you can adjust the bumpstops for clearance. turning bumpstops are on the knuckles, and the rears you can add plates or rubber to compensate.

but, for the price of a 3" lift i'd just go that route. it's only 500 bucks, and you can get some decent ford rims from the junk yard with 31's on it for 200 bucks and go from there. there are tons of explorer/rangers out there running a 31. or, get some spacer/adapters and go for the f150/bronco wheels/tires.

any way. i dont know clearance numbers for crawling, but mud was never a problem for my xj, even stock. but, i'd aussie the front at least, and if possible and you know what you're doing, ford 88 the rear with a lsd.
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Jeep9717

Your going to rub driving straight with the 31's, unless you want to trim the fenders. Id wait until you can get the 3" lift unless you want to throw some pucks and shackles in there temporarily.

If you have a DD, why not build it up a little more now, your going to end up doing it in the future anyways, even if you say you aren't. Jus my
Jeep9717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

hmm... 2 contradicting things about the tires here.

I just want to be able to at least go into some muddy stuff before I can afford the lift. thats why I figured I get the tires now, and wait for the lifts for another month or two.

as far as building like crazy goes... I always like to have the car so that it is comfortable on the street.

I used to have a 700rwhp trans am, but it still had AC, cd player, and comfortable enough to take on the street and have a conversation inside
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Friend Runs 31's with almost no issues at all.. you'll be totally fine
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
itsge0ff
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had 30x9.5 tires and wheels with 4 inch backspacing before I got my lift and I rubbed like a mother on bumps turns anything. I trimmed up under my fender flare on the back and the front bumper cap to stop rubbing. The sound of tires rubbing is BRUTAL.

I would definitely say with stock rims my tires wouldn't have rubbed as bad on the fenders.

BUT with a 10.5 inch wide tire you might rub on the control arms with stock rims but prolly wont rub that much on the flares.
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
mall_crawler
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collkid View Post
My Friend Runs 31's with almost no issues at all.. you'll be totally fine
x2 on that, a friend of mine also has no problems

The Trail Never Ends.....
mall_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Trekman8
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just because someone you know does not have any issues, DOES NOT MEAN he will not run into any. There are a lot of factors to consider, sagging for one.

Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #2
Trekman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.