Not your typical driveline vibe. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Not your typical driveline vibe.

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Zjeeplover
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not your typical driveline vibe.

I'm getting vibes at almost all speeds. I do have an SYE and am running an Adam's Offroad DC rear shaft. It's not in the diffs, pinion angles, driveshafts are good, and joints are good. Tires, wheel bearings, etc have been ruled out as well. All this has been verified by Essentially Offroad. No trouble with shifting at all. It's a high frequency vibe. I'm thinking it's in the trans or TC. Anyone had a similar problem? Suggestions?

Zjeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Is this a new, out of the blue, symptom, or did it happen right after installing the SYE?
Have you tried driving w/o the rear (or front) shaft?
Have you MEASURED the angles? What are they?

I was vibration free before installing my SYE. Now I get mirror shattering vibes above 60mph (70, after installing shackle relocation brackets. Have not re-measured angles yet).
Angles are good, tires balanced. No vibes w/o rear shaft. It's been balanced and rebuilt.
Still need to verify runout on pinion and transfer case but there is no visible sign of a problem there...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Zjeeplover
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It started after installing a poly trans mount, which has now been replaced with an OEM rubber mount. I installed the SYE and my shackle relocation brackets on the same day. I can't remember the pinion angle but I did measure it with an angle finder and have had two shops tell me my pinion angles are perfect. I've driven w/o the front and rear shaft, separately of course. Still had vibes.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
larjerr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Does it change immediately after letting off gas or accelerating?
larjerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Zjeeplover
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No, it's consistent throughout acceleration, deceleration, and coasting.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well then, either both your shafts need rebuilding, or it's the tires or something else
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If it wasn't vibrating before, I'd really inspect the hell out of those 3 items. Have you looked at that sye for run out and the yoke?

Tags
ax15 , driveline , np231 , vibes , vibrations

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.