Not downshifting after stopping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Not downshifting after stopping

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
NUBOPOLY
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not downshifting after stopping

I am posting this for a friend.
If there has been a post about this before excuse me but the new search feature isn't as good as the old one and I wasn't able to find anything.

He has a 98 Cherokee with the 4.0L with about 195000 miles on it. We started to have problems a while ago with rough idle and the car randomly down shifting, so we figured it was the TPS, replaced that and the problems went away, well a short while later he started having problems with the car not down shifting at lights and also when he goes to pass, it will down shift into 3rd but not 2nd(say if he goes WOT at 45MPH, it will not go down into 2nd, just 3rd).
So today we had the codes read and we got
P0700 Trans Control Sys Malfunction(thinking it was caused by the shift solenoid code)
P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0756 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance - No First or Second Gear
P0705 Trans Range Switch Circuit(thinking it was caused by the shift solenoid code)
P0171 Bank 1 Lean (We were thinking o2 sensor)

So my question is, could I be right about the 700 and 705 being caused by whatever is causing the 758 and 756? and what could be causing the 758 and 756, If you guys need any more information just ask. Also, am I correct about the 171 code most likely being the front o2 sensor?

NUBOPOLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
BlkBird
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, all those tranny codes and 195k. I cant help but that would have me worried, might be time for a rebuild.
1971 Pontiac Firebird
BlkBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
NUBOPOLY
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, sadly we try not to think about that though. Although we also have to consider that ignoring a rebuild 100% and trying to find only ways around it could cost him also.
NUBOPOLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.