JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Not the CKS - Cranking but no start (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/not-cks-cranking-but-no-start-1521350/)

BLSDEP 05-10-2013 02:32 AM

Not the CKS - Cranking but no start (Solved)

Hello all,

1991 XJ, 4.0L, 5 Spd Manual

I have $400, and about 20 hours in and still cannot figure this out.

Before I bought the Jeep (from co-worker) it started and ran, died about a block away, started up and ran back to friends house. It had a radiator leak and multiple oil leaks.

I replaced Radiator, Thermostat, hoses, Rotor, Dist. cap, Wires, Plugs, Fuel filter, CKS (Crank Position Sensor), and Coil. Still cranks but not starting.
I was getting a weak spark (yellow/orange) which prompted me to replace the Coil.

Fuel rail has great pressure, no loss.

I have pulled the fuses and modules in block in engine bay and renewed the contacts.

I am at a loss now with what might be wrong.

bamasteeler 05-10-2013 05:46 AM

did you check spark after you replaced coil??

did 91 have and automatic shut down relay? if so did you swap it for another relay to check?

tjwalker 05-10-2013 11:30 AM

Good advice above in the event that the new coil that you installed was faulty. It happens more than you think. Your new coil needs to be ruled in or out before moving onto other possibilities.

If you are getting NO spark, (spark should be verified again; only takes a few minutes) then as in above, the crank sensor you installed may be bad, especially if it is an aftermarket sensor. I've seen many aftermarket crank sensors not work right out of the box; that's why I only install Mopar units.

BLSDEP 05-10-2013 08:14 PM

Re-checking spark at Coil and at Distributor is my next project tomorrow, I need a helper to eyeball it while I crank... I'm wondering now if it might be the cam sensor in the distributor? Any other ideas?

buildin1XJ 05-10-2013 08:38 PM

Go buy a remote starter for around 25$ and quit waiting on a no show buddy.

BLSDEP 05-12-2013 03:51 PM

Sooo, I re-checked everything from coil forward, found the Rotor in Distributor cap had snapped off from its tail lock, weird? So then I re-installed the previous rotor.
I then swapped the ASD relay for the A/C relay... boom, spark achieved... long story short, motor is now purring like a kitten...

I am still curious why that rotor would have snapped off?? Brand new rotor and cap from OMIX-ADA

bamasteeler 05-12-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLSDEP
Sooo, I re-checked everything from coil forward, found the Rotor in Distributor cap had snapped off from its tail lock, weird? So then I re-installed the previous rotor.
I then swapped the ASD relay for the A/C relay... boom, spark achieved... long story short, motor is now purring like a kitten...

I am still curious why that rotor would have snapped off?? Brand new rotor and cap from OMIX-ADA

So the relay was bad as well???

BLSDEP 05-15-2013 08:42 PM

I am assuming so yes, it wasn't getting spark until I switched it with the A/C relay :)

bamasteeler 05-15-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLSDEP
I am assuming so yes, it wasn't getting spark until I switched it with the A/C relay :)

Well glad you back up and running!!!

The time now is 08:06 AM.