Noob here with some Noob Questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Noob here with some Noob Questions...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
slver01XJ

Noob here with some Noob Questions...

Hey! This place Rocks. I wish I would have found this before.

I have some quick questions for ya: Well let me give you some info first,
I have had my XJ for about 6 months. I owned a YJ for a while but sold it years ago. (regret that)
I bought the XJ with a lift already on it, I know its the rubicon express 4.5" lift (the better of the two)
and since getting it I put some AT's on it cause it wont leave the pavemant much until its paid off.
Since putting the new tires on I have noticed that there is a vibration occuring at hwy speeds that has gotten pretty horrific.
I rebalanced the tires and got an alignment and no change.
I went to a local shop and they said that I needed some degree shims for the rear end.
I have an cv drive shaft in the rear and a chrysler 8.25 axle (thank god!).
So it is my ujoint makin a fuss..... I can do simple mechanical work so I figured I would do this myself and svae some money.

So my questions are (finally ):
1. what does putting the shims in entail?
2. should I put in a new rear U-joint too? if so whats the part #
3. What degree do I need?

Thanks in advance, chaz

slver01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Shim will require you to:

Raise the rear end up and put the body (suedo frame) on jack stands in front of the front leaf spring mount.

With the tires off, you should be able to drop the rear axle and the leaf packs will be unloaded.

Remove the U-bolts on the axle and be sure to keep an eye on the brake line. Then lower the axle away from the leaf springs.

Put Cclamps on the leaf packs to keep them together and remove the center pin. Place the shim with the skinny side to the front of the vehicle and the fat to the rear. Put a new, center pin through the shim and back through the leaf pack.

Tighten nut, remove Cclamps, and then put U-bolts back on.

That's it.

See if the Ujoint is visible damaged. Replace if it is.

Most report about 3-4* of shim on the rear axle.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
slver01XJ

Thanks..

Ok so I'm gonna get some 4 degree shims (steel right?) ,
and some center pins.
I think I will get a U-joint to in case I need it, if not then I have an extra one.
FOr the U-joint though, all the ones I find onlne say its for Xj's up to 99,
I cant find one for a 01, wtf?
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
JEEPZZ

You say you've got an '01 with 4.5 inches of lift?? I hope you have a SYE in there otherwise it's gonna vibe like crazy.
If you have the SYE and a double cardan driveline, you'll want the rear axle pinion pointing straight up the driveline or just about 1 degree low.

If you don't have a SYE & double cardan driveline (god forbid) then you'll need to match the angle on the rear pinion to the angle on the t-case rear output shaft. If this is your case, you'll probably need to shim it in the opposite direction (shims in backwards) and you'd also better have one hell of a t-case drop. While your at it you'll need to remove your front driveline because everything you did to remove the vibes from the rear driveline have now all doubled up and are vibrating big time on the front. (t-case drops increase the angle on the front drive!!!)

Everything you've ever wanted to know about PROPER driveline setup is right here: Driveline 101 It's a very good read.
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
slver01XJ

yup got an sye, all I really need is some new gears and Id be happy.

after a little diggin I found that I may need a 1310 ujoint is this right?
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
JEEPZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slver01XJ
yup got an sye, all I really need is some new gears and Id be happy.

after a little diggin I found that I may need a 1310 ujoint is this right?
Yep, 1310 is correct.
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
slver01XJ

great, thanks everybody

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.