NOOB Here, Need some assistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NOOB Here, Need some assistance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
shaveradam

NOOB Here, Need some assistance

New guy here, not new to the auto-enthusiast message board type thing but a noob to jeeps

Alrighty, so I am in the process of purchasing a 2001 Cherokee Sport. I would like to know exactly what goes into making my stocker look like this jeep below...

[/QUOTE]

I know I need a lift kit, new shocks, but could someone tell me what size lift that is and what size tires and wheels those appear to be?

shaveradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
shaveradam

I'm potentially looking at something like this kit...

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/ter...ng-p-6032.html

What are your thoughts? I have a pretty small budget for wheels, tires and the lift kit. I know, I get what I pay for, but I don't want a driveability issue as this will be my DD during the winter (my 04' Supercharged Monte Carlo will be hibernating).
shaveradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

3-3.5 inch lift with 31x9.5r15 Goodyear wranglers (obviously) ok next question?!!!

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

No, no, no. All of that advice is WRONG!

The correct method is to give your Jeep to ME (I'll come pick it up), then go buy one that looks like the picture!

Okay, on a serious note, welcome to the Jeep world!
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get yourself a 2 inch budget boost some 30x9.5r15 on craggier soft 8s or d windows. Cheap steel wheel that looks good and holds up against a beating. Hit mine off rocks a couple times and they aren't bent and still hold air. Budget boost is your best bet if your DDing your rig especially if your on a tight budget.

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

this post is long and has good info in it bear with me

In that pic it looks like 31 -33" tires on a 2 or 3" lift. i can see it has a CB radio, a good roof rack but no armor, lowest cost wheels our there and hella(?) lights

you're looking at 600-1000 on new tires and wheels, few hundred for new roof rack and lights, 100 for the new CB radio setup, new shocks = few hundred, and for a new lift youre lookin at around 400. that gettin itchy close to 2K and thats without armor, bumpers, (good) control arms, pretty much it will just be a street queen with limited capabilities off the road.

if you're resourceful you can lift it 3.5-4 inches with 300 bucks (junkyard and used (but good) stuff) and find a set of used tires and wheels for a couple hundred.

I'm the kind of guy who can settle for used parts. This is what i did: (my avatar is out of date, in the pic its at 2" now its at 4")
-I got used RE superflex control arms (upper and lower) with rebuilt spherical joints for 100 bucks
-Lifted the rear end (bastard packed the leaf springs) with 100 bucks
-I found 3.5" RE lift coils at the junkyard 25 bucks.
-Got shocks from a JK rubicon (with less than 1K miles!) for 20 bucks
-Lowered my transfer case with a crossmember from an XJ with the AX5 transmission 20 bucks
-Got a some skid plates and rock sliders for cheap i forget how much
-made my own roof rack (150 for a welder and accessories, and 100 for materials)
-got a used ARB front bumper for 180
-this next part is unbelievable i got a set of five Kumho M/T 31" tires with 30%-60% tread mounted on ZJ canyons for 100!!!!!1!! (dont believe me ask "ReconZJ" here on JF he sold em to me)
-a few cans of spray bedliner or matte black paint will take care of any rusted or ugly parts. 20
-i used birthday money for new sound system 200 and lightforce lights 300 so lets not include that

that totals to about 750 give or take 100. add that to the price i bought my stock XJ for 1700.

BAM! 2500

I've been offered 6000 for my rig and I've spent less than half that on it, thats not something you see every day i did a lot of research before i bought my parts i suggest you do the same.

For the surprising amount of used parts on my jeep, I havent broken anyhting yet while offroading they seem to be pretty solid. except for my motor thats blown but thats a different subject that you should also worry about but right now is irrelevant.

In my sig you will see "junkyard parts for an XJ" click that you will see a lot of good, tested, and solid upgrades you can find in the junkyard or on craigslist.

Can i get a thumbs up please? (lower right corner) it should be right about .......................down there somewhere---V
k thanks

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , kit , lift , tires , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.