Noob To Forum and Noob w/ an XJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Noob To Forum and Noob w/ an XJ!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Noob To Forum and Noob w/ an XJ!

Hey guys, i have been lurking around this forum here for about a week and a half checking everything out. I must say there is a bunch of great info on this site. I just have a few noob questions about the 4.0.

First off I bought a 99 XJ Sport (White) 4dr 4.0 4x4. It is all stock and hope to get some pics uploaded here soon. It was actually fleet vehicle for a wireless company here in MN so I would imagine the service has been done routinely (i hope). Last weekend I did the spark plugs and wires and changed the oil and put in a K&N air filter (planning on getting a cold air intake in the future). The coolant looks pretty new, it is a nice bright green as the tranny fluid is clean as well.

1. What is typical oil pressure the 4.0 runs at? Mine runs right at 40 and just a little over when going down the highway. Is that normal?

2. The temp guage sits at 210 and doesnt get any hotter, is that the normal temp?

3. Is there anything I should be looking for underneath the vehicle on the 4wd system to make sure everything is okay? I would hate for some thing to happen to that!

This is not my DD, though i did drive it to work today, it is just better to drive than my 96 cutlass . Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!
MNJeep99

norsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
CanadianJeep86

yes that is normal oil pressure. The normal operating temperature for the 4.0L is 210.
And if you crawl underneath just check that the transfer case and both axles are full. It also wouldn't hurt to put a little lube on the transfer case shift linkage too. Maybe check your u-joints
1989 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231, D44, 3.73's, *Stolen*
1987 MJ Sportruck, 2.5, AX5, Rollbar, *Jeep Heaven*
1986 MJ, 2.5, T-5, bushbar, Longbox, *Jeep Heaven*
CanadianJeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
twinsdaddy24
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Jeep! I would change the fluids in the front and rear diff as well as the transfercase. Its better to know the fluids are fresh than to wait for failure.

40psi at cruising speeds is normal and about 17-20 hot idle is normal.

210 is normal also on a warm day.

These Jeeps are really durable and will last darn near forever if you keep up the maintenance and treat it with a little respect.

Check the underside for leaks and if it drives out okay with no noises, dont worry about anything drivetrain wise.

Enjoy the new ride!
twinsdaddy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info and quick replies so far. Like I said, I am a complete noob on this stuff so i am sorry my questions are so lame, but I guess that is how you learn. Is it easy to change the fluids in the diffs and the txfr case? I have the access to all the tools I need, my father in law is a mechanic and has everything including a hoist.
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Jeep gal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's the same jeep I have.

Do your power windows work from all locations?

How about your fog lights?

Is your battery original? If it is getting week or has dead cells it will give you some strange problems.

Welcome....
Jeep gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep gal View Post
That's the same jeep I have.

How about your fog lights?

Is your battery original? If it is getting week or has dead cells it will give you some strange problems.

Welcome....
Thanks, yeah from looking in your profile we do have the same one (my bumpers are even white too. I am not sure if I like it yet though, they might turn Black. My power windows do work from all locations for now. I have seen some threads on that so i am watching those. I dont have the stock fog lights installed, they must not have picked that option. My battery looks as it was replaced in March of 06, but is a stock Mopar battery. It seems to be holding up well for now as well.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Doug_J
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a solid Jeep, congratulations and have fun!
Doug_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
cherokeeman90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jeeps run right at 210 temp level
your fine
cherokeeman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
2k1XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome, Sounds like a nice xj, congrats, cant wait to see pics.
How many miles on her?
2k1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is 130k on er. I have heard so many good things on these engines I wasn't to worried about it. I have a few buddies with the 97 XJ and they have had great luckk as my Dad also has a 95 XJ 2dr that is running like a top as well. I'll get some pics when I get home from work and throw them up on Photobucket. I should really just upgrade my account so I can just post pics in the forum since I know I will be on this site a bit.
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing pictures of you jeep.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
SteveTheFolkie
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check your hard brake lines - the one going from the MC to the RF caliper let go on me last Saturday morning - it had rusted up pretty well and just blew out. Lucky for the Honda Fit in front of me I was able to get 'er stopped with the e-brake. It let loose at the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the run by the inner fender.

BOTH of the front hard brake lines were rusted - so I replaced them both - easy job and well worth doing for the peace of mind. I flushed my brake system while I was at it -

Curious, but the hard lines going to the back brakes were fine ...

They seem to be really durable vehicles. I bought a '98 XJ last September with 42,000 on the clock, have about 57,000 on it as of this morning - other than the brake lines the only thing I've done was to replace the original battery. (well, I've done 5 oil changes as well) -

Enjoy

Steve
[B]P[/B]ocket
SteveTheFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Sinzitu
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome aboard! Lot's of good info & folks on this forum. Another vote for seeing some pics.

White Jeep Club Member # 1994

Is it done yet???
Sinzitu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Jamo33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep gal View Post

Not to hijack the thread, but quick question on this. I just got a 2000 XJ Sport and the rear driver window does not go down from the driver door. However, if you use the switch on the rear passenger door, the window will go down, and THEN you can use the switch on the driver door. As soon as the engine is turned off and back on, you have to repeat the process. Also, same location, the rear passenger door does not lock or unlock with the power lock button, OR the remote key fob. What am I lookin' at here? Rusted harness connector? Bad wiring?
Jamo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
Jeep gal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd try cleaning all relevant contacts first.
Jeep gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.