Noise - Torque Converter bolts loose! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Noise - Torque Converter bolts loose!

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
4wheeldrift

Noise - Torque Converter bolts loose!

Got some *really* good news yesterday. Took my 91 XJ in for what I was sure was going to be a $2000 problem. Loud tapping/knock noise coming from the oil pan area. I was certain it was a crank bearing and that the motor was going to need major work.

SURPRISE!

Dealer:
I understand you are expecting bad news, are you sitting down?

Me:
Yeah, how much is replacing the bearing gonna cost? I have to decide if its worth doing or just buy another XJ

Dealer:
Not sure about the bearing cost, I could get you an estimate, but tightening the torque converter bolts will set you back $88

Me:
What kind of beer do you drink?

Whew!

mike

4wheeldrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

88 bucks?Im sure your glad to have found out it wasnt the engine,But 88 bucks to tighten some bolts is insane.Im thinking there probably 9/16's and there are 4 of them but if you cant do it yourself I imagine the 88 bucks is well spent.just hate seeing people get burned
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
ayoung

yeah glad to hear it wasnt a major issue, but $88 for tightening some bolts is not something I would be buying the guy beer for. just my .02
AJ's Superrails, Diff guards, d30 lockright, d44 rear axle w/ spool, 4.88 gears in both
Flowmaster Super40, Banks Headers, cone intake
ayoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
JEEPSYCHO

$88 compared to 2G is good, paying $88 to get four bolts tightened is bad. But even worse is the good possibility that you elongated the flex plate holes where the torque converter is bolted to it. I did this in my '85 Chevy pickup and got to replace the TC and the flex plate a week or so later when the bolts loosened back up again. Usually, once these get loose, it's a bigger issue. I hope not in your case, and I drink Pete's Wicked Ale.

[COLOR=Green]GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #164[/COLOR]

[B]THE LIVER IS EVIL AND MUST BE PUNISHED![/B]
JEEPSYCHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
badron

-----------------------------------------------
that you elongated the flex plate holes where the torque converter is bolted to it.
-----------------------------------------------
Yes, that does happen if all the bolts come loss or if it's beat on hard when some of them are loss.
But a !!!GOOD!!! mic will check for that. Also he will check for a badly bent flex plate. He or she will check the engine to trany bolts the engine and trany mounts. It's not uncommon to find more then one thing come loss. Beside replace all the converter bolts using a little blue on them too. That's what cost you 88 bucks.
badron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
anony91xj

Yes, those bolts should have some Loc-Tite on them, retightening will just allow them to vibrate loose again. My question is going to be...why did they come loose in the first place? Was transmission work done recently?

You're not paying $88 just for tightening the bolts down. You're paying diagnostic labor to figure out what the hell the noise was.
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
CanadianCook

I was getting a weird tapping noise form the lower end of my engine and we came to the same conclusion that is was a main or rod bearing. So we started taking apart the motor and when it came time to take out the torque converter bolts out they were all finger tight. My friend figures that that might of been the noise. The motor is out and taken apart and we could not find anything that would cause noise in the block. 330,000 kms on the engine, Leaks oil like crazy, rear main, vavle cover, and other places(probably).
Did your engine tap or make noise when you would just tap the gas? thats what mine did. I am rebuilding the engine any way seeing its out.
CanadianCook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
CanadianCook

I also lost oil pressure thats what else made us think rod or main bearings.
CanadianCook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
Trippe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i tightened my torque converter bolts the other last month and about a week later the sound was back...so the secret to preventing that is loc-tite eh?...hmmmm...i may have to give that a shot when i put in my tranny cooler...
GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #130
Parrothead Jeeper Union Member #1
Trippe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
badron

Sorry for the repeat. Were did I put my soap box. New bolts!!!!!!!!!! Many times the threads of the old bolts that become loss become worn. The bolts them self that don't come loss are over stressed. The shank of the bolts can be grooved or worn.
Also some trany use a shoulder shank bolt. They need to be replaced with same. Sorry but it's a dealer thing. I am now getting off my soap box. luck
badron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
atfrith

where exactly are the torque converter bolts? are they easily accesable without having to remove anything major? (tranny, etc)
Rusty's Air Tube and K&N Filter
Dynomax Cat-Back
Cobra 19Gtl CB Radio w/PA system
2 Cheapo Baja Driving Lights mounted on front bumper
3" Rusty Coils up front, 3.5" RE leaf springs in the rear
31" Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
[COLOR=red]Under 21 XJ CLUB member #9[/COLOR]
Hondas Are Like Tampons...Every Pu**y Has One
atfrith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
dschio

This is a pretty common problem on the Cherokee, and there are a few threads on this message board about it already. I had the same problem. I tightned the bolts myself, but it is a pain because you have to remove an access cover to get at the torque converter bolts. And to do that you have to take off the exhaust so that you can get to one of the access cover bolts.

I would have gladly paid $88 to have someone else do it.

DS
dschio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #13
Trippe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yeah...i had the exhaust problem with mine too...when i put the plate back on i made sure that the bolts went back on the "right" way...
GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #130
Parrothead Jeeper Union Member #1
Trippe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
Helicop

Do you really have to take the exhaust off? I have a tapping noise that I just assumed was rod-knock or whatnot.. but I think next week I'm going to take that access cover off and tighten the bolts!
---30X9.5 Firestone Destination Mud-Terrains---
---62mm Bored TB---
---High Flow Cat & Flowmaster 50 Delta---
---Pacesetter Armor Coat Header---
---Misc. Engine Mods---
---Overhead Light Bar---

___--==Helicop==--___
Under 21 Member #24
Helicop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.