No-Weld junkyard bronco 2 spare tire carrier write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No-Weld junkyard bronco 2 spare tire carrier write-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

No-Weld junkyard bronco 2 spare tire carrier write-up

Materials used: Carrier and latch assembly, chunk of galvanized metal from home depot, chunk of a bedframe, 4 grade 8 bolts, a few self tapping screws (holes should still be predrilled), s10 leaf shackles, luck and persistence.

This is a bronco 2 spare tire carrier, probably from a 1986. It belongs on a jeep.

After much googling, it seemed the easiest way to mount it without welding up custom brackets would be to use chevy s10 leaf spring shackles, shown here originally and with a slight bend to make them look better.

After painting them and drilling mount face holes, they are on the jeep. This is the point of no return, and also utterly disappointing. Over 8 inches of sag with a tire on it. Unasseptablu!

Enter the Simpson MST27. 2" wide, 27" long, 12 gauge galvanized goodness for only $5.99. (Not shown here, scrap chunk of a bedframe)

For even more beef, the stock backplate from the bronco 2 latch is used across the whole face of the d pillar with a slight wrap around on the back. Break off the welded nuts with a breaker bar, hacksaw off the top and bottom edges, and hammer one of the sides flat. Beef on the cheap!

Screw a ~6" chunk of the steel plate on the back of the d pillar for a backbrace, put the modified latch backplate on the face, and you have a nice mount point for an s10 shackle up top. The bottom of the shackle is lined up the the body line above the 4x4 logo.

Backside of the upper mount. You can see the bedframe acting as a vertical brace, a few washers to angle it right, and the grade 8 bolts holding it together. One of the backplate screws needed to be trimmed a tad.

Here's the outside of the lower mount. Guess what is lurking back there?

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The backplate for the lower mount is an L shaped footlong chunk of metal held in with 7 screws, 4 along the side of the jeep, and 3 behind the taillight. Also seen, some aligning washers and the bottom of the bed frame chunk.

Rear, showing how great I am at stripping screw heads.

The original bronco 2 latch ALMOST works without modification, but there was no way to get a good backplate up the the upper bolt hole. Drilling a new hole in the middle seems good enough.

Backplate for the latch is simply a U shaped chunk of metal. Hopefully the shape will distribute the load and prevent that small section by the bolts from ripping out.

Power for a new license plate light is conveniently available from an unused (in the US) euro plate light plug. Cut, twist, tape, done. I'm sure you can figure out mounting a light on your own if you are actually going through with this...

The main plate on the tire carrier I got was removable, so I rearranged it to bring the tire closer to the back of the hatch, and lower it for better visibility.

Safety first! This bicycle cable is looped through itself on the upper bar of the carrier, looped out and back in the spare, and then down to the trailer hitch. This should keep the carrier and the tire attached to the jeep no matter what fails. If you live in a sketchy area, a padlock can be used instead of the chain link.

The finished product, with a mitsubishi montero license plate light. It supports over 200 lbs open, and thus is MUCH stronger than a stock cherokee spare tire carrier.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, got the idea from Apostle and Holder350. Their's look a bit more finished than mine. haha.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I thought of doing this then realized that once my new bumper is on plus the added weight of a 33 and steel wheel is probably have zero lift in the rear lol but looks pretty good I may be tempted to rattle can it n touch it up
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime3492 View Post
I thought of doing this then realized that once my new bumper is on plus the added weight of a 33 and steel wheel is probably have zero lift in the rear lol but looks pretty good I may be tempted to rattle can it n touch it up
Well, only way around the weight issue would be a roof mounted spare way up at the front of the jeep. In the back or on the back isn't going to change much.

There's a few spots that I do need to repaint. I wasn't really being nice to it while figuring out how to install.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i dont carry my spare at the moment but will be once i get the suspension at a set height which will be in about a month when the long arms get here and then im probably just gonna throw it in the back cuz i have a gutted interior now until i get the rear seats done. Im gonna throw some bucket seats in the rear.
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin pretty good

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

AWESOME, just what i was looking for. I have some custom brackets, but i needed to see the inside panels
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95 View Post
AWESOME, just what i was looking for. I have some custom brackets, but i needed to see the inside panels
There is still a bit of room for improvement on my upper mount, if you can figure something better out. Otherwise, glad to help. Good luck with your DW.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks, just fixed my dw. I will try only my lower mount to see what improvements i can make as well as to properly make another upper mount. Keep in mind, i got 3/8ths steel on 1/8 chromolloy. i am plasma cutting and welding my mounts. I need a friend over to hold the carrier while i mark the holes
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95 View Post
thanks, just fixed my dw. I will try only my lower mount to see what improvements i can make as well as to properly make another upper mount. Keep in mind, i got 3/8ths steel on 1/8 chromolloy. i am plasma cutting and welding my mounts. I need a friend over to hold the carrier while i mark the holes
I've been wondering if there could be a market for premade brackets. Could be interesting.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

im sure there is, streamlining the process can make it worthwhile. The first time however takes forever. I like your approach, because of its simplicity
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

NICE!

I'm glad you were able to learn from my mistakes, lol.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
NICE!

I'm glad you were able to learn from my mistakes, lol.
Yep. Paid close attention to the taillight clearance.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i screwed up on that part, ^
lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.