No turn signals/wipers/radio on '92 XJ LTD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No turn signals/wipers/radio on '92 XJ LTD

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No turn signals/wipers/radio on '92 XJ LTD

I purchased a '92 Cherokee Limited from a friend back in Feburary.

My first Jeep and I'm loving it.

Just about a week ago, I started it up after leaving it parked at the airport while on a trip for 4 days and while it started fine, I had no turn signals or winshield wipers and the radio only comes on if I've had the brake pedal pressed for 3 or more seconds.

Additionally, if after pressing the brake pedal I try to turn on the signal or wipers before the radio clicks on, the radio remains off.

I've checked and replaced the related fuses and circuit breakers (that 5.5 amp CB is a pain in the butt to find...) Have not checked the relays under the hood yet, but according to the manual, there doesn't really seem to be anything in the distro area related to these issues.

The only related modifications are that the radio/CD deck is not stock, but is an aftermarket Pioneer and was working fine previously.

No one really uses their turn signals in Nashville anyway, so that's not a serious problem - but no radio and no wipers is getting really annoying - especially with summer thunder storms now rolling in.

Any ideas?

OR Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
jv3kxj

I'd have the battery load tested, and the alternator tested.
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My understanding was that the alternator was recently replaced before I purchased it and I had the battery tested shortly after purchase.

However, recently I've also watched the voltage meter randomly sit above and below 14v. after start-up with no real rhyme or reason...the fact that it is sometimes above 14v seems to me that the alternator is still charging the battery with some regularity. Am I wrong?

Is there something else I should check?
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar prob with mine. The turn signals, wipers, and heater blower do't work. I figured out it was a short in my ignition switch because if i push up and have way turn the key off they all come on.
NinjaofDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ninja-

Do your signals/wipers/fan etc... stay on if you start up that way?

If so, it sounds like the fix is a new ignition switch???
Unread 06-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Bump for more advice
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Update:

guys at auto parts store said that battery/alternator not likely cause, but to try replacing the relays.

The AC also is not working - so I'm wondering if this is at the root of the problem - and if replacing the AC related relays might do the trick for everything.

In the mean time, I've checked EVERY fuse - inside and under the hood. All are good.

Any thoughts?
Unread 06-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Not the relays. I replaced the AC and Starter relays with no change.

So, now I'm thinking I have a short, ground problem, or bad wiring harness somewhere.

Do I try this myself or take it to the dealer? How much can I expect to pay for this at the dealer?
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
scorpio18

Try re-seating the black plug on the left hand side of your steering wheel, it controls all of those items. It sometimes feels like its all the way in, but you have to use a socket set to get it really seated well.... You have to remove the cover with a torx T10 screw driver
scorpio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced my ignition switch 2 days ago because my Jeep would shut down as soon as I released the key from the start position. I thought it was something more serious but then I noticed I had no turn signals,blower motor,radio or wipers. I could wiggle the switch and make things work sometimes the engine would stay running but nothing else would work other times I lost the engine but everything else would work. New switch fixed it right up. But I wanted to know how the switch failed so I took it apart. Inside I found one of the contacts a long bar had been over time building chard deposits and heating up to the point it melted through the plastic switch housing. It is a ground for the whole switch so it has a big load on it. Just wanted to explain why I'm with those saying check your ignition switch.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
OR Transplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio18
Try re-seating the black plug on the left hand side of your steering wheel, it controls all of those items. It sometimes feels like its all the way in, but you have to use a socket set to get it really seated well.... You have to remove the cover with a torx T10 screw driver
O.K., so this morning I looked all over for this "black plug" to no avail. Where is this thing? I removed the cover below the dash...looked all around the steering wheel/collumn...don't see anything that applies.

Unfortunately, my account is too new to post pics...

Help, anyone? I'm pretty new to all this - and work too much to go to a dealer; although I may have to resort to that...
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
scorpio18

To get to it; you have to take off the plastic cover on the steering column. The black plug is right behind the turn signals on the left of your steering wheel. You could have a different setup then me, but thats where mine is...
scorpio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
RickyN29

Definitely the ignition switch.

The wire will be coming from the ignition switch (a large gauge BROWN wire) and will lead down to a PDC on the knee bolster.

Replace the ignition switch and call me in the morning.
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
Ex-Jay

I have the same issues with my 94 XJ 4.0HO. I know its the ignition switch cause I can play with it and get everything working but as I'm driving down the road the radio, AC blower, turn signals will stop working. I've bought a new switch from autozone, removed the lower dash panel but cannot find this thing. Does anyone know the exact location of this switch for my year XJ? Also has anyone actually replaced one, and if so how did it go?

I saw a wire harness on the left side of the column about halfway down the column but the wire terminals/plug is not the same as the switch, and that's right below the bright switch.

I saw some wires leading up the column on the top side of the column but couldn't see if that's where the ignition switch was and if it is on the top of column mid way then I don't see how I can replace that without removing the whole column.

So like I said .... does anyone know exactly where this thing is located and how much of a pain is it to replace?

Thanks
Ex-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.