No start......Replaced the Crank Sensor and still no start, Whats UP? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No start......Replaced the Crank Sensor and still no start, Whats UP?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
batilzown

No start......Replaced the Crank Sensor and still no start, Whats UP?

here's the deal, i have a 01 4.0L auto. Started it up today after school to drive home and Check engine light came on. didn't make it 3 miles home and it stalled out. i had the scanner and plugged it in while in the middle of the road. I thought it said Crank Position Sensor.....so later on i went and got the Crank position sensor and replaced that and still no start. If i was pumping the gas while cranking it would start but run like poop and turn off.......Eventually it got to a point that it would idle but die if i tryed to drive. And now its throwing a CAM postition sensor code. Also the last time got it to run it was make a sound from the cam sensor me and my dad thought WTF?

1)Could someone chime in and help me test the Crank sensor and Cam Sensor. It may be possible that i got a junk Crank sensor so i want to rule then out one by one

2)whats involved in replacing the Cam senor? Iv never dont it.
3) Chrysler sensor plugs are push then pull correct? there a b-och!

batilzown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP) testing

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

A. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
B. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
C. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

2) The cam sensor is inside the distributor cap, it unplugs and comes right out.

3) Chrysler plugs have a red lock tab that slides and then you usually press down on another tab and then pull apart.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 05-15-2010 at 07:53 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Posting the exact codes here is helpful.

Cam sensor can be tested; you'll need a meter and a procedure to get you there. If it starts but runs terribly, I would definitely keep the cam sensor high on the suspect list, especially if the code relates to that. The cam sensor controls fuel injector timing among other things.

Good luck.
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
batilzown

Thanks tim and walker I appreciate it.....I pulled the cam sensor and there was a small magnet that is supposed to stay attached to the cam sensor. looked as if it had fallen out of the sensor. Its made kinda funky because it can be put in the senor many different ways. One end is tapered and is supposed to sick out of the sensor. I tryed many different ways and that way worked (and confirmed with a new sensor). It started and run but lil rough. Threw in a new one and ran good and started up.

If anyone has hard starting, or a no start i would suggest firstly looking at the cam postition sensor. Its the easyer of the two to swap out and just double check. The size i believe is two 5.5mm blots and its on the passenger side of the block. Next subject would be the Crank position sensor. Standing at the left front tire looking under the intake it can be seen on the bell housing with two blot heads toward the rear.You will need about a 2 foot extension one swivel and a 11mm ractchet.
batilzown is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.