No start issue troubleshooting help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No start issue troubleshooting help.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you figured it out.

Ignition lock cylinder and switch are all one assembly on the newer XJs.

A new ignition switch and you should be good to go.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have to press in pretty hard on the key to get the engine / starter to crank...is there anything i can do to avoid this?
rosco219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Mine 98 also has an issue with the ignition switch. When I tun the key I get nothing. I took the lock cylinder out and tried to start it with a screw drive as I use to do when the orginal cylinder went a few years ago. I can feel that when I key the key to start position it just does not feel right. Does yours do the same? I currently have it set up to start with Toggle switch. I can show you how to do that if you want.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ya please let me know how to do that! What year is yours, mines an 00
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

My Cherokee is a 98 which should be the same as your 2000. Locate the connector in picture below. It should be just below the battery. Between the battery and overflow container. On the connector you will see the thick Light Green wire with a Black chaser. This wire goes to the starter. Once you located it disconnect it so you see the pins. You sould be able to now pull the connector with the pins up to you have access. Now with the key in the run position. Attach a wire + side of the battery. Then touch the other end to the pin for that Thick light green/black wire. The engine will turn over and start. Once it start just remove the wire and plugg the connecter back together. This will work if the NSS is bad.
Note: Becarefull to make sure everything is away from the Fan before you try this.

Now I have a bad ignition switch. So what I did for now is Sliced a wire to the Green/Black wire with a wire tap. Ran that wire in the cab to a Spring Loaded Toggle switch. The ran anoter wire from the Toggle switch to the + side of the battery. So now when it will not start. Don't have to open the hood.

If you have any question feel free to ask.
imag0923-large-.jpg   imag0924-large-.jpg   imag0925-large-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How do you shut it off with the out the toggle? Mine is back doing the same thing...And Its friday night!, PS , I am going to buy an ignition switch set up, but what and where should I buy this? Am I just looking to buy the tumbler or the actual ignition as a whole? Confused as hell on this....Dont wanna waste any more $$$$
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Sorry just seeing this today. The toggle is only used to turn the Starter. I still use the ignition key to turn it off. Now there are 3 parts in the ignition. The tumbler, ignition switch and igniton switch actuator pin.
To figure out which one it is you will have to do some looking. But which ever it is they are all easy to replace.
First, remove the tumbler. Do google search. It should be the same as some Dodge mini vans. All you need for this is a thin screw driver.
Once this is out turn your Key in the cylinder to see if it is bing up. if not then you will have to check the Ignitons switches.
I posted some videos here on how to remove remove these. It is really easy and should only take about 5-10 mins.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...start-1569342/ Post 13

Now once you have it apart. If you don't see anything wrong with the actuator Pin. Then you can test the Ignition Switch. Just need a flat screw driver. Insert the screw driver were the actuator pinn would attach to the switch and turn it. If its goog the Jeep will turn over and Start.

I took mine a part last week and found the issue was the actuator pin. So now this is how I start my Jeep. I have not had time to get to the parts store and get the actuator pin. I just use a screw driver in the ignitions switch since I do not have the tumbler installed.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think im gonna go with the push button start
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Ok just make sure it is a momentary switch. One wire to battery and the other to the green/black wire as shown above.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.