No start issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No start issue.

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
chance_p
2008 WK 

No start issue.

Here's a breakdown of what I am dealing with...

Filled up with gas, started Jeep, idle jumped to about 2k rpm's and then dropped to normal. It hasn't done anything like that since I cleaned the TB and IAC 8 months ago. I got on the highway and 50 miles later it died out of no where.

Check engine light came on, codes read p1491 (never had this code) and p0138 (had this code pop up once a month and then go away upon restart for the past 4 months, 02 sensor bank 2). I am under the impression that this is the 02 sensor behind the cat, and therefore will have no effect on the Jeep not starting, which is why I have not done anything about it. Is that correct?

I have checked all fuses and relays.
Fuel pump primes and I have pressure at the rail (no gauge, just sprayed fuel into a cup at the valve, seems fine)
CKPS checked out okay with a volt meter (infinite resistance between B and C), all gauges work fine.
I have spark, although not sure how strong it is. (removed plug, held threads to block and had assistant crank the motor)
Tried starting in Neutral, no dice.
Tried starting with all different throttle positions, nothing changes.

Can anyone point me in a certain direction as to where to go from here? I cleared the p1491 code and it hasn't come back. Could the cam position sensor be bad? I don't know if I would still get spark if it was bad. I'm thinking I need to acquire a fuel pressure gauge and check that, as well as have someone with a bit more experience see if I am getting sufficient spark.

Thanks for any help.

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fix the known problems, and see if the other issues clear up.

P0138 JEEP - O2 sensor 1/2 Circuit high

Possible causes

- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks

P1491 Rad Fan Control Relay Circuit.

An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
chance_p
2008 WK 

I was hoping you would reply Tim.

I have a cracked exhaust manifold, but all of the wires and connections are perfect. Ill throw a new sensor in though because they are cheap enough. This couldnt possibly cause my no start could it?

I went through and cleaned up all of my connections and cleared the codes. The Cel hasnt come back on in my attempts to start the Jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.