No start, how to check the starter on a 1994 jeep cherokee sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No start, how to check the starter on a 1994 jeep cherokee sport?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Volvo802

No start, how to check the starter on a 1994 jeep cherokee sport?

Hey guys, first real post. So basically, in a symptoms first manor;
Car has turned over and ran OK the past little while.
Now, Key is turned, lights come on, and - nothing.
There is no anything, but a pitched whining coming from the... ECU? (drivers side front box, has a bunch of wires leading into something below a clamp).
Checked the battery, got 12.4 Volts.
Put ear next to gas tank, fuel pump turns on.
Checked fuses, all OK. (not sure how you check those black squares)

If I'm not mistaking, if everything is typically OK, and your engine will not turn its due to a bad starter.

Now, with that I ask if anyone else would know what would cause it to start some days and not the rest?

You can find the starter by following the positive battery lead terminal to the little cylindrical thing on the passenger side of the engine? Is the best way to access this from underneath?

How can I test this without taking it off the jeep? or is it hard to pull off a starter on this jeep and swap in another one?

Sorry for all the questions in one. I'm trying to help my bro with his jeep, and I don't have it sitting in from of me to look at until tomorrow. He's got a trip to NJ coming up in the next month. I'm not familiar at all with jeeps, coming from volvo's. Does it need to come off to test it or can I do so without it? also, I have a multimeter on hand, and would it helpt o put that into play? Thanks much!

Volvo802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You can tap the starter with a hammer lightley while turning the key. If it still won't do anything you may to check the connections and make sure they are clean and tight at the starter. Finally take it off and go to an auto parts store and they can test it before buying a new one.
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the starter relay, aka those little black boxes on the fuse panel, swap it with one that you know is working and see what happens.
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
You can tap the starter with a hammer lightley while turning the key. If it still won't do anything you may to check the connections and make sure they are clean and tight at the starter. Finally take it off and go to an auto parts store and they can test it before buying a new one.
That may help if its cranking slowly, (I did this a few times before it finally gave out). But the op said nothing happens at all when he turns the key.
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Volvo802

Yeah nothing happens at all when the key is turned. I tried turning on the headlights and turning it over, and they didn't go out or anything. Relatively new battery (less than a year) but i'll confirm in a bit that I have a good battery with a MM.. Its completely silent, no dash gauges go off when turning the ignition either (most cars ive had will shut things off when it sends power to the starter, so it gets all the power to turn). BTW this is a completely non-offroad vehicle, doesn't see anything but rain and pavement here.
If I were to get a few buddies, and try to push it up to say 5mph, put it in first and drop the clutch, essentially push starting it, will that be sufficient to start it with all other starting mechinisms bypassed? That would confirm that nothing on the other side of the engine needing to crank needs fixing.
My brother for whatever reason seems to thing its the fuel pump, but that wouldn't make any sense if its not turning over lol.
Is there any other ways to hand start the jeep? I used to have a little (I mean, honda CRX little) car, and I could spin the flywheel by hand to bypass the starter. (its actually how I got to work for about a week haha).

So, I'll check all my grounds, and points of contact clean/tighten. Wouldn't a starter at least click if it was getting power? Starters are like 100 bucks a pop, no?
I will swap starter relay with one I know that works. iirc, the small black cubes in that little box on the passenger side towards the back right?
If neither starter relay, connections nor hammer tapping will start is there any other component to check before I put a new starter on? Is the starter pretty much bolt and play?

sorry for not summarizing, just want to put everything out there in hopes of more accurate help. Thanks again
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I would seriously check your battery connections, cables and grounds. It may be just that simple. Take the cables off, shine up those terminals, shine up the connectors, check to see that the cables are not crunchy. Put a light coating of dielectric grease (or Vaseline) and re-install. Check the grounds by the oil dipstick and the ground strap from rear of engine to firewall of Jeep

They can be identified by: They're a bunch of wires that come off the battery and go all over the place JK
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo802 View Post
I will swap starter relay with one I know that works. iirc, the small black cubes in that little box on the passenger side towards the back right?
yes
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Volvo802

After a bit of farting around, and testing it to be getting full power, I had that whim of "Hit it with a hammer". I bumped it when I had my brother turn it over and whoosh! we had it come to life. No doubt that it was a starter problem after that. Sweet! spent a good 20 minutes pulling off the two bolts (ran out of PB Blaster ). Than most other time was spent at the store seeing who knew how to work the bench tester, 'doh.
Swapped the new one in (62 bucks) and it started up good. Serious need some jacks though. was a bit tight on the pavement (no lift kit).
Now for the next problem shall I create a new thread or shall I continue on this? (idle drop issue and low voltage/voltage drain when the cars off and batterys hooked up).
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
cadams69

If youve ever had subs check to see if you hot is still hooked up cause my jeep done that and i went through about 3 battery's before i found that out and if its just your idle speed dropping i always through it was normal but it could be something to do with idle speed positioner thoughs are about 50 to 75 bucks!
cadams69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , diagnosis , no start , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.