No spark, No gas, No bus Message after engine Washing, HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No spark, No gas, No bus Message after engine Washing, HELP

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
KommanderCool
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No spark, No gas, No bus Message after engine Washing, HELP

Yesterday I washed the engine of my 99´ XJ, after that I start the engine it cranked right up and put it out on the street. After a min. it quit. I tried to start it again and won´t turn over. It cranks but no start. I tried several times to turn it on again and it started but after a few seconds the engine stopped and I couldn´t turn it on again.

Have no spark, fuel pump doesn´t work, No bus message on the cluster.

Thing´s I´ve done:

Patience at this moment 100%
-Check all fuses. All fuses Ok.
-Changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Patience level now
-Changed my coil for an MSD coil.
Patience level
-I cleaned with WD40 all the spark plugs cables.
-I take off the distributor cap and clean it very well.
-Take off main sensor´s and spray WD40
Patience level
-Take off computer conectors and clean them very well with WD40.
-Tried to start it and appears on the Dash "No bus".
Patience level

What should I do now?

Last edited by KommanderCool; 12-25-2012 at 12:12 AM..
KommanderCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use some conditioner ?

You are on the right track suspecting that water has gotten into a wire connector or engine sensor. A NoBus and the no-start symptoms suggest the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the Camshaft Pickup Sensor (inside the distributor), or the engine computer. I would also remove and check all the relays in the under hood fuse box.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Therein lies the danger of washing the engine..............

The crank sensor is a very common cause for the NO BUS, but theoretically, anything along the "bus" can give you this problem.

So other suspects would be any of the 5 volt engine management sensors AND the computer itself. And the power distribution center (black box); check that for water intrusion as well.

Try one by one, unplugging the sensors and then looking to see if the NO BUS message has gone away with that sensor unplugged. If you find the message is gone with any particular sensor out of circuit, you have found your culprit; replace that sensor.

If the above technique with the sensors doesn't find the problem, I think I'd consider getting a salvage yard computer.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bus , cps , ecu , spark , washing engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.