No Spark No Fuel pump... engine cranks but no fire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No Spark No Fuel pump... engine cranks but no fire

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 08-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
kazador61
1994 XJ Cherokee 

No Spark No Fuel pump... engine cranks but no fire

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4X4
4.0 L AW-4 NP242

Was runnin' down the freeway yesterday afternoon on my way to run some rounds through my son's 80% paper weight that we just built, not a care in the world.... Engine just DIES... no cough, sneeze, or burp.

Towed the beast home, attempt to check if the Computer pitched any codes, and could not enter diagnostic mode. Tested to see if the fuel pump was working by jumpering the fuel pump relay... no joy. Checked for spark same result, nothing.

I've had this jeep for about 9 months without any major problems.

If I understand what I have read correctly it is not the neutral saftey switch, cause that would prevent the engine from cranking altogether. I could have misunderstood though.
Checked the CPS(CKS?) and the meter shows OL when measuring between the pins... so I think that could be eliminated.
Swapped the relays around to see if there might be a bad relay.
Checked fuses in the engine compartment and under the dash.

Is there any way to jumper the diagnostic connector to initiate diagnostic mode and if so, does anyone have the pin outs? I looked the wiring diagrams over and couldn't figure it out.

I'm leaning towards a possible bad PCM/ECM.

Would really appreciate any direction, suggestions, or thoughts, I'm in the process of C4 aquisition

Thanks
In advance
Steve

kazador61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
kazador61
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Found the Problem

Found the problem... Always good to double check your work, or the work of someone else.
Rechecked the fuses in the power distribution module found blown ECU fuse.
kazador61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazador61 View Post
Found the problem... Always good to double check your work, or the work of someone else.
Rechecked the fuses in the power distribution module found blown ECU fuse.
Good catch. But the question now is "why" did that fuse blow? Fuses usually don't blow willy-nilly. If it blows again, you're going to need to dig into it......
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.