No Spark, No Fuel 98 Cheeroke Sport 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No Spark, No Fuel 98 Cheeroke Sport 4.0L

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
BeepTheJeep98

No Spark, No Fuel 98 Cheeroke Sport 4.0L

I've got a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. I think I left one of the interior lights on and it killed the battery. I recharged the battery but now it just cranks but I have no spark at the coil and the fuel pump is not energized. After reading up on similar problems I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Nothing changed from the original condition. Fuses are all good. The gas and battery gauges do not move when the key is turned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BeepTheJeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You still have classic symptoms of a problem with the crank sensor circuit. The gas and battery gauges are big clues there, as there is often problems with those gauges with a bad crank sensor.

Where did you purchase your sensor from? There have been numerous threads of bad aftermarket sensors right out of the box. The crank sensor is one that I always buy directly from Jeep.

Otherwise, you need to make sure that the crank sensor connectors are good, as well as wiring. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner, spray both the crank sensor connectors thoroughly (there is also one near the #6 injector/firewall), add a small dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.

ASD (autoshutdown) circuit is a remote possibility, but I think you have an engine management sensor problem and the crank sensor is still high on the list.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
BeepTheJeep98

I ended up taking it to the Jeep Dealership. They are telling me that the PCN is bad and needs to be replaced. They quoted my $500 just for the part. They warned me that getting a used PCN would most likely not work because the PCN's are VIN specific. I don't know if that's a real thing or not. Any ideas on what I should do?
BeepTheJeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepTheJeep98 View Post
Any ideas on what I should do?
See this thread. -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...e-pcn-1180335/

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.