no problem like someone elses problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > no problem like someone elses problem

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
too_low
1998 XJ Cherokee 

no problem like someone elses problem

I just bought a 91 jeep Cherokee Laredo from a guy who tried to put an engine in it. from what I gather the old engine overheated and blew up so he bought a junkyard engine out of a 1995 jeep?????? He said he used the wiring harness and ecu from the 91. everything works correctly (fuel starter lights) except for the ignition and the tach, he put a new 91 distributor on it and it only has spark on #3 and 4 cylinders, i put a distributor off of a 94 jeep grand Cherokee in it and it only has spark on #2 and 5 cylinders now. The combination of wrong spark timing and the tach not working points to the crank position sensor, however it's new. Is there a possibility that the flex plate from a 95 is different from a 91 and could that cause the cps to read the position wrong?? Thanks

too_low is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would assume that you need a 91 flexplate, distributor, and CPS to make it work correctly. I am unsure if the 91 and 95 are different but there were different ones for different years.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You can check parts application at rockauto.com.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cps , flex , intermittent , plate , spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.