No Horn caused accident... Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No Horn caused accident... Need help!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
toddytt
1999 ZJ 

No Horn caused accident... Need help!

I have a 99 XJ Cherokee with a non functioning horn. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that takes me from the steering wheel all the way to the horn? I've checked the fuse..Good
I've changed the relay...Good
I am able to jump the relay and make the horn honk while its jumped, so I know it functions. This used to be a police vehicle so I don't know what might have been done to the wiring so a schematic would be helpful.
Any suggestions????

toddytt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
toddytt
1999 ZJ 

I forgot to mention that my cruise control DOES work and my airbag light is NOT on. In reading other posts I saw mention of the clock spring but I don't have the other symptoms
Unread 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

here ya go, this is from my 99 manual. the horn switch is actually built into the steering wheel cover, believe it is like a gel filled pad if i remember correctly. but you will see that the wire for it run through the clockspring. you will have to disassemble the steering wheel and remove the air bag to get to the wiring but should be able to check it from there. all it does is provide a ground for the horn relay.
File Type: pdf 99 horn.pdf (458.1 KB, 8 views)

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While you have the steering wheel apart, verify you don't have one of the "defective" air bags.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
toddytt
1999 ZJ 

Airbag

How do I tell if I have a "defective" airbag?
Unread 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddytt View Post
How do I tell if I have a "defective" airbag?
If it's made by takata lol.
Unread Yesterday, 12:17 AM   #7
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Police vehicles regularly have the horn re-wired to the siren controller to activate the "phaser" (yes, i know, but that's what it is called) mode. This is done so that officers that are responding to an incident Code 3 do not need to remove their hads from the steering wheel to change the siren tone when they approach an intersection.

Find the wiring diagram for your vehicle and trace the wires. You'll probably find that they have been cut.

INSTALLED:
5.5" home brew lift (BB + JKS ACOS/bastard packs + 1.5" Boomerang Shackles) | RE DBs + Adjustable UCAs & LCAs | JKS BPEs & Quicker Discos | Kevin's Offroad Trackbar | 33x10.50-15 BFG ATs | 15x7 Type 058 Eagle Alloys | RuffStuff Specialties HD Diff Covers | AA SYE | Modified Tom Woods driveshaft | LeBaron hood vents | Redline Hood Lift | B&M Tranny cooler | Reese Class III Receiver | 62mm bored TB | Borla Cat-Back Exhaust | C4x4 Fab Rear bumper & tire carrier | ORO Licence Plate relocation Kit | Kelley's WIP HD wiring upgrade | ZJ rear disc brakes | Stainless Brake lines | ARB front Bullbar | Orvis Edition Rear Spoiler

TO BE INSTALLED:
JKS Mini Skids | Rock Lizard Corner Guards | AEV/Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid | TnT Customs Unibody Stiffeners, HD Belly Pan & U-Bolt Eliminators

PLANNED:
ARB Roof Rack | Warn 9000lbs Winch | Warn Manual Hub Upgrade | Rock lights | 231 Wide Chain Kit, 2Lo, 4:1 | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | Snorkel | Dual Batteries | OBA
cdn_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:36 AM   #8
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Before you go messing with any wires in the steering column make sure to remove the negative terminal on your battery. Last thing you want is that airbag going off in your face
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuse , horn , police , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.