no fuel pressure tried everything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > no fuel pressure tried everything

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

no fuel pressure tried everything

So I have no fuel pres. And the pump doesnt turn when I turn the key on. I know my pump is good because I hooked it to the battery and it works. Also tried switching around all the relays, still nothing. Im not sure if this is related, but it wont crank with the key, I have to jump the starter to get it cranking, and if I dump gas down the tb it will run until it burns off all the fuel. Anyone have any ideas??

2000 XJ 305K original engine/trans, dana 300 t-case, D44's, locked front and rear, 4.88's, 6.5" IRO Critical Path longarm kit, plated unibody, and miles of welding wire. BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/2000-cherokee-build-1539270/
JPCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is or was the Check engine light on ? When you write "it wont crank with the key" do you me the starter will not engage, or do you mean it will not run after the starter engages and turns the motor ?

It would logical to assume that whatever is causing the Jeep to not start with the key is the problem. Is there a mechanical, fuse, or wire problem with the ignition, or is there a failed sensor or battery/starter wire problem ? You need to perform some inspection and diagnostics if you expect to get an logical answers.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to check some fuses in your PDC, here's a layout. Relay control coil fuses are in the junction block in the passenger footwell.

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Is or was the Check engine light on ? When you write "it wont crank with the key" do you me the starter will not engage, or do you mean it will not run after the starter engages and turns the motor ?

It would logical to assume that whatever is causing the Jeep to not start with the key is the problem. Is there a mechanical, fuse, or wire problem with the ignition, or is there a failed sensor or battery/starter wire problem ? You need to perform some inspection and diagnostics if you expect to get an logical answers.
Check engine light was on, and still comes on when the key is "on". The key will not engage starter at all. Checked all my fuses, all I found was a bad rad fan fuse that wouldn't be the issue. Checked my relays, switched them around to test, still nothing.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Download the Check Engine Light trouble codes, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its just the light, and i don't have anything to scan for codes. Also, I tend not to believe the check light. It has been on for years
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Neglect isn't a good thing obviously. Now it doesn't run and concerns you huh?

I going to hope you have tools, multimeter, etc. Check the MIL, that's the "malfunction indicator light" and start there.. Second, you need to be sure you have power to the ignition switch, then at the starter with it in the start position.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
JbmLaredo

What model is your jeep? Does it have a security system?
JbmLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Download the Check Engine Light trouble codes, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.
Jake even tho the light has been on for a while for something. Maybe you had an evap code or something little for a long time.. but now you COULD have a couple codes. It wouldnt hurt to check it if you can get your hands on an obd2 reader. $40 at autozone to buy one. Not bad to have.

A little more info guys.
When the key is on it will power the dash and obviously the computer because when he jumps the starter with fuel in the tb it will start. So the ingition is putting out some power.

I was still wondering if it was an ignition switch tho. Because with the key ON the fuel gauge doesnt work anymore either. So something is happening that wont allow the jeep to turn over at all.

Even if the NSS or ASD was bad it would still crank just not fire. So im starting to wonder if your ignition switch is bad. 300,000 miles is quite a bit of key on - key offs in its life.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=223213_0_0_

Thats the part Jake, might be worth starting with that as cheap as it is.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK ill have to pick one of those up. I think this will probably be all that time and money allows for as im leaving for school tomorrow morning, and wont be back until november. Really pisses me off that I might have to leave it like this for so long after dumping so much time and money into the thing. Ill let you know if the switch fixes the problem. Thanks for all of your help!
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

NSS will keep the engine from turning over, not from running. (That's why it doesn't die when you put it in drive)

There are many threads and write-ups about cleaning and repairing the switch (even some about bypassing it)

The ignition switch may have failed, nut a little diagnostic work will go a long way

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

The NSS is bypassed and he tried a new ignition switch. Still no fuel pump, fuel gauge or cranking.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of this jeep? Or of the fuel pump system. I assume the signal to power the pump is coming from the ECM.

Also wiring diagram of the ignition system? Is there any way that the computer itself (if it was fried) would stop the XJ from turning over? Does the start signal(or NSS) pass through the computer?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Bump.. Noone?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Go to an auto parts store and pick up a Haynes manual for your jeep. Itll give you a majority of the wiring schematics you need. Also, try and get a cheapy code reader if you don't have one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.