No brake lights, turn signals, or hazards. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > No brake lights, turn signals, or hazards.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No brake lights, turn signals, or hazards.

All this went out on my last offroading trip. Fuse is good under the hood and has power. I changed the multifunction switch and still have nothing. My manual says the combination flasher for run/acc is powered by fuse 12 and there isn't a spot in the fuse block to put the fuse in. And the combination flasher for constant power should come through fuse 19 and there is no fuse in its spot and there is no power in either prong on the fuse block. Can anyone confirm im looking in the right area or give me some known problem areas to look at.I was told there is something behind the fuse box that could give me trouble but I don't remember what its called. Any info would be appreciated.

Unread 08-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i lost my turn signals once, probably the flashers and the brake lights too. It was during the day and i was in a rush. There is a fuse by your feet on the fusebox, drivers side footwell. Don't remember which one it is, but it controlled that stuff. Might want to check that out.
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

With an issue like this, fuses are the first thing i checked. I had an issue similar to this that involved my trailer harness. Bad wiring there caused a 20amp fuse under the hood to pop and i had no brake lights or turn signals. Thats the first place i looked and it is all good and has continuity going through it. Im not sure if there is a relay beyond that point that could be my issue. Im gonna check the trailer harness next to see if its grounding to the body or something. I do have tail lights and head lights. But i noticed my cluster lights and my interior lights do not work either. Ofcourse the wiring harness on these things are such a pain in the *** to deal with im not looking forward to tracing wires.
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
polo609

Having the same problems, my hazards dont work, neither do my turn signals or brake lights. However if i pull the knob for the headlights and taillights, they do come on....
polo609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Always arm yourself with a wiring diagram for this kind of stuff. Electrical issues are always hit and miss and your best bet is to look for a common denominator for all these issues. The diagram will tell you everything about what's on that circuit (any fuses, switches, etc), the wire color coding and so forth.

A short to ground would have popped a fuse. If you checked the right fuse and all is good, then you're looking for a loose connector or wire or bad switch/relay. When you do your continuity testing, always check the voltage against a known good ground. When you're testing voltage after a switch, make sure that swith is on (which includes brake pedal, turn signal...). Work your way through the circuit and narrow it down to a small portion of the circuit. If your issue happens to be a section of wire with no continuity that's burried in the dashboard, don't bother pulling it out. Cut it, isolate it with electrical tape, run a jump wire across and you're good to go.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think it might have something to do with my trailor harness. I had an issue with this before that cause the same problem when i plugged the harness into a trailer. It popped the 20AMP fuse under the hood.The fuse is fine right now and has continuity, but on my last wheeling trip, the harness fell down and got sucked under the tire and ripped the connector off. I have no clue where the rest of the harness ended up, so im hoping some wires are contacted eachother or the body causing my problem.

polo609, check all your main fuses under the hood, if good, check the fuses inside the car, if good move on to testing the multifunction switch. These are the 3 most common causes.
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
polo609

I checked all my fuses and they seem to be all okay, ill try checking current next,

Also, where is the multifunction switch?? Is that the lever on the column that controls the flashers and wipers?

What do I do to check it?
Unread 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo609 View Post
I checked all my fuses and they seem to be all okay, ill try checking current next,

Also, where is the multifunction switch?? Is that the lever on the column that controls the flashers and wipers?

What do I do to check it?
Yes. Check to see if your hazards work since they're not part of the multi switch; if they do then your multi function switch is suspicious. The multi switch can be complex to diagnose, best is to replace it. It doesn't have anything to do with the brake lights though.
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
polo609

Ok guys, an update.

Checked the current going through fuses and at the turn signals(back) and there is power going through.

Checked the grounds, all ok.

Played around with ignition switch, all ok.

I checked my multifunction switch, the wipers work and the highbeams come on, but still no brake lights, no turn hazards and no blinkers. Not even a light coming up on the dash for the blinkers, no buzzing sound.

Any ideas??? Anyone have a diagram that i can look at?

Thanks all
Marc
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
hdsport
2008 WK 

I can rebuild your multifunction switch if this is the problem. I have done several of these and have great success.
These switches have a great tendancy to corrode and since they control so many functions, they can cause a lot of problems. Most throw them away but I developed a rebuild process and my rebuilds have saved a lot of money.
I hate to replace when I can fix.................
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo609 View Post
Ok guys, an update.

Checked the current going through fuses and at the turn signals(back) and there is power going through.

Checked the grounds, all ok.

Played around with ignition switch, all ok.

I checked my multifunction switch, the wipers work and the highbeams come on, but still no brake lights, no turn hazards and no blinkers. Not even a light coming up on the dash for the blinkers, no buzzing sound.

Any ideas??? Anyone have a diagram that i can look at?

Thanks all
Marc
Haynes or Chilton manual. If you don't have one of these already, they're good investments. Wiring diagrams may vary with yr model.
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey psychoteen101, did you ever figure out what it was? My XJ started doing this the other day. the 20A maxifuse under the hood keeps blowing. Here is what I know.

if I put in a new fuse the hazards don't work, the left blinkers do, the right ones don't (and the fuse gets hot), and if I push the brakes the fuse blows instantly. I've checked the wires... Can't find anything. I used a meter to check the connection and the right light is showing some crazy negative charge... It may be a bad ground. I think i'm going to try to put in my own ground wire and see if that works.
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
frankie02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Polo609, did you ever figure out what your problem was? Mine is doing the same thing, no turn signals, brake lights, or hazards..but headlights and taillights come on just fine. I don't hear any clicking when i press the turn signal either. I was hoping it was going to be a simple fuse, but still no luck finding one blown. Any luck?
frankie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Found that the power wire coming from the engine fuse box going to the interior fuse box and a huge drop in voltage somewhere. Since i didnt want to go searching through the harness, i just ran a new wire to a known good section.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.