Newly Rebuilt! Now a big question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Newly Rebuilt! Now a big question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
jmaxey27

Newly Rebuilt! Now a big question

I just finished installing the newly rebuilt 4.0 yesterday. It starts pretty easily but it is definitely having a bigger problem starting than before.

My guess is that because we bored thirty thousandths off the cylinders and also took quite a lot off the top of the block and bottom of the head it has a hell of a lot more compression than it did before. More horsepower? Who can argue with that?

I looked into a beefier started from Green Machine but I don't wanna drop $300+ when I just spent a fortune on the rebuild and various other fix-ups (including the heater-core. That sucked...)

Any ideas/suggestions/cheap upgrades?

Thanks in advance

jmaxey27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How old is the starter you have now and can you prime the fuel system and it start better it could be a bad check valve in the fuel pump or maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator I would do a fuel pressure test with the engine off and see what psi it holds after shut down
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Did you swap distributors?
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
jmaxey27

Yeah. We used the old distributor and timed it correctly and whatnot. That was a cool thing to learn. I've never done that before but my uncle is an expert so he showed me how.

It doesn't have any problems starting... yet lol. I just feel that in the future it might start to become a problem. And I don't have $300 to blow on a Green Machine starter
jmaxey27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You are positive its Indexed correctly? 100% sure??

I paid a mechanic 60$ to do it wrong 3 times before it was done right by someone that had done it on a 4.0 HO before. Just saying...though that "should" throw a P1391 code.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fully charged battery? Good clean power and ground? Side note, did you measure what the CR is to see what octane you will need?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.