A newly acquired XJ, I know that I'm asking for punishment... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A newly acquired XJ, I know that I'm asking for punishment...

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

A newly acquired XJ, I know that I'm asking for punishment...

I figured that I would come across the street from the YJ forum and introduce myself.

My primary Jeep is a 1988 YJ with a 1993 XJ 4.0 and an 88 XJ AW4/242. It has been a great little rig for most of what I have put it through.

I hang out over at the YJ forums, but I had recently purchased a 1985 XJ for $600.00. This will be my 2nd XJ, my first being an 84. It has the 2.8, 5 sp, NP207, and CAD front axle. It is is relatively great shape, hardly any rust, no dents, and it starts and runs fine. The 4wd system works good too. But, it has some electrical gremlins lurking under.

The park lights keep blowing fuses, even after removing the trailer harness and plug (which looked like that it had been through a lawn mower) and repairing the harness assy behind the L tail light. I can also tell that a POS had worked on it under the dash, as well as the stereo system. The drivers window motor spins but no window motion, same with the RR door. I can repair or replace what is needed to get them to working again, but as for the park lights, it's just simply a matter of spending time in there with a meter and tracing down the short. I figured that the electril issues would be a minor problem.

I will post pics when I get some free time on the computer. Wish me luck.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/
I suggest gong through Cruisers thread with a note pad, my 88 is giving me electrical fits, and others after sitting for 7 years. I have done a lot of things in this, and they all have helped me tuns, i suggest the ground strap under the dash, and ground refresh first. It solved a lot of issues for me.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, I also have an 88 YJ and just bought an 86 XJ, could you post a pic of your engine compartment? The guy I bought it off is claiming it has a chevy motor - 2.5l V6 in it, but I'm wondering if its the stock 2.8L.
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the XJ world. Sounds to me like your YJ experience has you off to a running start. The XJ rear tail light harness is notorious for rubbing the edges of the body sheet metal behind the tail lights and shorting out.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I would check the headlight switch, mine blew fuses and had dash lights SOMETIMES. replaced it and it quit blowing the fuse.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/
I suggest gong through Cruisers thread with a note pad, my 88 is giving me electrical fits, and others after sitting for 7 years. I have done a lot of things in this, and they all have helped me tuns, i suggest the ground strap under the dash, and ground refresh first. It solved a lot of issues for me.
I will do that. Thanks.

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
Hey, I also have an 88 YJ and just bought an 86 XJ, could you post a pic of your engine compartment? The guy I bought it off is claiming it has a chevy motor - 2.5l V6 in it, but I'm wondering if its the stock 2.8L.
Yes, if it is the V6 it is the Chevy S10 2.8L motor. I will try to get you some pics when I gate back home.

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Welcome to the XJ world. Sounds to me like your YJ experience has you off to a running start. The XJ rear tail light harness is notorious for rubbing the edges of the body sheet metal behind the tail lights and shorting out.
I have found no abrasions on the wiring harness whenI was last in there, but with this new info I will take a closer look in there this weekend, I have to dig back in there with a test light and a meter anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
I would check the headlight switch, mine blew fuses and had dash lights SOMETIMES. replaced it and it quit blowing the fuse.
I have never thought of that, but understanding how electrical switches work I can see how something can short out inside there. I will need to start at this point anyway when I begin to diagnose the electrical circuit. I'm lucky enough to have kept my Haynes and Chiltons manuals from when I had my last XJ several years ago.

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Since I have my six year old daughter with me for the summer until the end of this week I have not found the time to work on any of my Jeeps. But I have found some time last weekend to explore some of my electrical issues.

Sometimes the simplest of issues can cause some of the biggest headaches. I had purchased my '85 XJ from a PO who knew nothing about mechanics or electrical. I was having issues with fuses blowing every time that I had turned on my park lights. Last week I had woke up with an idea on the best method to trace down the cause of my short.

I started by disconnecting the headlight switch and removing all of my bulbs. While doing so I had noticed the glass was loose from the base on a #1157 bulb (park and stop bulb) located at the right-rear corner lamp housing. After I had disconnected everything I hooked up my ohm meter and tested the wiring circuit. It had tested out good.

I then reattached the headlight switch connector and performed the continuity test again with the switch off (and power disconnected). It had tested good again.

I proceeded to reinstall all of the bulbs, after lubricating all of the sockets with electrical grease, but I had intentionally left out both of the #1157 (park/stop) bulbs. To my surprise no fuse was blown. I then installed a new pair of #1157 bulbs and turned on my park lights again, once again no fuses were blown. Then I had ran out of daylight. Just for the fun of it Ihad connected my DVM leads to the bad buld, the contact had nearly zeroed my screen. At this point, I am over 90% certain that my shorting issues were in that one bulb.

Sometime this week I am going to take my daughter on a test drive with my lights on, and see if I can shake anything up and cause the fuse to blow. I will post my progress as time and work allows.

Unread 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
According to Wikipedia (grainofsalt) the 2.8L V6 IS a Chevy motor...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
According to Wikipedia (grainofsalt) the 2.8L V6 IS a Chevy motor...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Yes, if it is the V6 it is the Chevy S10 2.8L motor. I will try to get you some pics when I gate back home.
I believe that I have already answered his question, but thanks for the link to show tyler980.

Unread 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. Here is an update on my progress.

I have been going through my XJ (slowly) and fixing little things here and there over the last few weeks. I had solved and fixed the park light issue. After extensive testing, starting from the headlight switch and connector, I had tracked down the Dk Blue wires to the rear of the Jeep. There was a license lamp female bullet connector (Dk Blue) in the hatch that some one thought that it was suppose to be connected to a male bullet connector (black). I had disconnected it and ran an OHM reading (after removing all of the bulbs), I came up open. I then tested the black bullet connector and it was closed. I reinstalled all of the bulbs, reconnected the headlight switch, and replaced the burnt fuse, the park lights all came on and bright. Problem solved.

I then moved on to the window motors. The drivers window would roll up once I pulled up on it a few inches, as well as the right rear window. I went to the salvage yard with my tools, a drill, and a battery jumper box (for power testing) and searched the yard for an XJ with power windows. Once I had found one, I pulled the door panels off, and fashioned up a pigtail for window motor testing. Both windows had tested good. I pulled them, went home and swaped them out. I now have all four windows operating. I had sprayed chain and cable lube on the regulatorss to prevent any further rust from forming.

Now to move on to the speedometer cable.

I have found a 70's Ford 4wd pickup for $300.00. It needs a power steering gear replaced and the truck reassembled. The owner had tore it apart to rebuild, but he had passed away before he could rebuild it. My wheels in my head are turning, thinking if I want to build up the XJ using all Ford engine and drivetrain parts. I will think on this some more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.