Newbie on a Time Crunch that needs HELP: Axle swap and everything that goes with it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Newbie on a Time Crunch that needs HELP: Axle swap and everything that goes with it

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie on a Time Crunch that needs HELP: Axle swap and everything that goes with it

Going to Pick and Pull tomorrow morning to get a "new" front axle (mines bent) - it has to be on my XJ by the end of Monday (tomorrow).

Questions:
1) How can I remove the drag link from the axle side without breaking anything? Do I need a special tool or is it as simple as removing the pin and undoing the bolt?

2) I purchased RE's Heavy Duty Adjustable Track Bar and Bracket - the bolt that connects to the axle side is a half inch - the hole is less. What the heck, do I have to drill out the hole to make it a half inch?

3) How can I bleed brakes without special tools? Is there a link someone can give me?

4) I'm forgetting something - tell me what's a common screw up so I don't do it.

5) If anybody would like to help, I would forever be in your favor. I live in Crowley, south of FTW. I'll buy food and beverages to keep you happy.

6) Help me please! I Beggeth you!

HornedFrogHooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

you remove the tie rods with a fork. this can damage the seal though.
if you got a pitman arm puller, that may work. i have used 2 arm pullers with success for removing tie rods that i did not want to bust up.
if the bolt is 1/2", and the hole in the new parts is 1/2", then i would also think that the hole the bolt goes through on the axle needs to be 1/2". if the bolt is bigger than the hole in the new parts though, looks like they sent the wrong bolt. why not read the instructions?
all you need to bleed brakes is some clear hose and a jar to let the fluid go into.
google "brake bleeding procedure" or something like that. there are more write ups than i could name.

i dont know what you are forgetting, as i am not you!
the swap is a bolt in deal though, so i cant possibly imagine there are any tricks to it. just be sure the front axle is the same ratio as the one you are taking out!
sorry i cant help, but the best way to learn is to do it yourself!

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

why are you bleeding the brakes? just unbolt the calipers, then bolt them onto the new housing...
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did read the instructions LeftLane! and they sent me the right parts too. *Shrug* Was just wondering if anybody had dealt with it before.

Bikedude: Thanks, didn't think of that. Still learning all how to be a weekend mechanic and still, obviously, don't know the simple things.
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK, I have swapped front axles a few times and it is simple if not a little laborious.

A few things you need to consider to avoid any snags.

If you still have the original front axle it will be the low pinion that everyone dumps in favour of the high pinion pre-2000 version. I assume you too will swap to a high-pinion but as you are already lifted by 3.5" according to your specs then you shouldn't have any trouble with the driveshaft hitting the exhaust and if it does it will soon modify the exhaust itself.

I also assume you have the correct hubs and rotors for your 2001 XJ? If you do then you will need to do one of two things if you swap to an older axle.
1, Get the rotors with the axle you pull from the junkyard or buy a new set for that junk axle.
2, Swap the hubs from your 'bent' axle onto the replacement so you can use your own rotors. Here's a few tips on swapping hubs and shafts complete - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=13

As Bikedude said, no need to break into the brake system at all, just pull the calipers and tie them up out of the way then re-fit them to the replacement axle.

Don't re-tighten the control arm bolts until your vehicle is back on the ground and rock the jeep before you do tighten them so the bushes are settled in a static position. Tightening the bolts while your truck is up in the air with the axle drooping means the bushes will be twisted when you lower onto the ground.

If you are up against the clock then leave the new trackbar install to a later date, it won't be any harder to do and you won't be rushing so are less likely to make a mistake.

Popping the TRE's out of the knuckles is easy. Remove the pin and nut then place a longish bar between the knuckle and drag link and put pressure on to try and split it. Then get your hammer and hit the knuckle where the TRE fits hard. A couple of solid taps and the TRE should pop out without damage.

Once all is bolted back in then you need to re-check your tracking to make sure the toe is right. You can easily do this yourself, see here - http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Make sure you get the right ratio, you don't want to be doing it again in a few weeks (ask me how I know) although it is quicker the second time!

Oh yeah, I'll come and help you but you will have to cover my flight fromthe UK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!

Last edited by sprintagogo; 03-23-2009 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Oops, wrong link.
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sprintagogo, thanks for all that good information!

pizza and "pepsi" is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket... I think we'll just see how I handle this one on my own =D
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update: After the Junkyard front axle pull...

called a jeep dealership to get the "new" axle's gear ration:3.55 - just like my current one. It was pulled from a 1990.

First Concern:
CURRENT AXLE

"NEW" AXLE:

What is it and how do I make it work on the "new axle"?

Second Concern:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qIBqAIXoHQM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qIBqAIXoHQM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W0Z8F9AZ-k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W0Z8F9AZ-k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
Is that supposed to be like that? The "new" axle turning and not turning?

Unread 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, it's news to me. All the breather tubes I have seen have had a plastic insert, not a metal one that you seem to have and also all plugged into the same side as your old 'bent' axle. I guess the metal insert should pull/wiggle out of the pumpkin and fit into the new one although you may have to extend or re-route the rubber pipe. As Jeep have only dealt in the UK since 1993 I haven't seen a 1990 axle.

Dont worry about the turning thing, that is just the differential differentiating! the hubs are free to turn at different speeds even to the point of one being stopped. If you can get an assistant to hold the diff yoke and a hub still you shouldn't be able to turn the remaining hub without the yoke or the other hub moving.

Quote:
Who's eric?
Quote:
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need to drill out your axle end track bar bracket hole to fit the larger,beefer,heavier duty bolt from RE it's just the progression of things.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

=)
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, if anybody gives a rat's Dana 35, I just finished up the axle swap. I feel completely awesome being that this was my first and I had no assistance besides a buddy helping me pull the new one for the junkyard.

=D

Yay me!
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
bend
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Perhaps you could mention a few things you think someone else doing it for the first time should know? While it is still fresh in your mind.
bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
HornedFrogHooah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

haha!

-13mm, 15mm, 18mm, 1/2", 3/4" sockets are your friend.
-make sure the gear ratio is the same as your current set.
-grab a friend - those axles are heavy.
-2 full days, that's what it took me.
-grab the axle from a 90-95 year model, high pinion = stronger axle.
-two jacks and a set jack stands will make a world of difference!
-First things off = last things on (ie. brake calipers) and so forth.
-Park your jeep fully in the garage so you don't have to leave the door open at night =D

PM me if you have any other questions bend, I'd be more than willing to share my current knowledge.
Unread 03-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, if anybody gives a rat's Dana 35, I just finished up the axle swap. I feel completely awesome being that this was my first and I had no assistance besides a buddy helping me pull the new one for the junkyard.

=D

Yay me!
Well done. It's just a matter of confidence, it looks and sounds like a huge job the first time you contemplate it but if you look back now what was technical about it? A lot of other jobs will seem a lot more achievable now.

Did you swap your hubs and shafts into the replacement axle? If not, you might want to do it some time as the UJ's should be the bigger, stronger ones in your 'bent' axle. Make sure there is oil in the new axle if you haven't already.

Don't throw the old axle away if you have somewhere to keep it, you never know when you might want a diff cover or a replacement pinion yoke.

Once again, congrats. You planned ahead, got advice on any pitfalls and then conquered. 1st class.

Quote:
Who's eric?
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.