newbie needs some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > newbie needs some help

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
90XJGuy

newbie needs some help

hey everyone, i just picked up a 90 cherokee from someone that works with a friend for free and i needs to get a few items for it so it can be road worthy, nothing huge, but i will be planning on hitting the junkyards soon for some parts. the one thing that i plan on doing with this jeep is having it as a winter vehicle, but i also want to have some offroading fun with it as well. so any suggestions what i should do first after fixing all the small little loose ends? How are the 4L's with mods?obvious question what lift kits are good for a cherokee and what problems should i look foward to when i start doing mods to the vehicle.

any input is greatly appreciated.

90XJGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
sizzle-chest

hey, im new at this too. some ideas i'm looking at are a new radiator, cuz the stock one is no good in my opinion. but thats not too fun. sorry, i dont know enough to recomend any lift options, but i do like the home-made ideas cuz theyre cheap. i still dont see the sense in spending much on a lift. sorry i cant think of any other ideas
sizzle-chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
xj89

Well if it was my jeep, after fixing the things i needed to, that would make it road worthy, id start by adding a medium sized lift. Either the Rubicon Express 4.5" or the Rustys 4.5", both lifts are reasonably priced, but most people will say that rubicon is hands down the best overall. Soon after that i would add a set of 32" or 33" mud terrains. Depending on ur budget and things of that nature ur next plan of business should be a SYE and CV driveshaft. You can get away with axle shims and a T-case drop but thats just a bandaid, and wont fix the problem. Im sure some of the other fellow jeepers will chime in here and give you some more advice and more ideas. have fun with your new jeep.
xj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

What's your budget like? Going big out the gate is always fun, but you'll be kicking yourself in the butt without the right geras or bigger tires.

If your rig will see more pavement than dirt, I would say start small and go with a 2-3" lift and 30-31" tires. That won'y kill the power too much and won't stress the D35 you have out back either. You'll want a SYE?CV driveshaft to avoid TC run out, but a TC drop can band-aid it until a SYE is bought. The earlier XJ's have less noticeable vibes due to the shorter pinion on the D35.

Address the problems first. I would say go this route:

Change out the Tstat with a new 195* unit (stock replacement)

Look into a Open Cooling System conversion.

Replace the Mechanical Clutch on the main fan.

Flush the cooling system.

If you are overheating, look into a 3-core replacement rad (radiators.com has them cheap).

Crawl under it and clean the oil pan, oil filter adapter, trans, and Transfer Case.
Then drive it around and check for leaks.

Obviously, hoses if the ones on there even kinda look old or warn out.

New Dist cap, rotor, and plug wires. New plugs as well.

Change out the front and rear diffs with Synthetic. This will give you a chance to look at the internals for damage and if you don't hav eproof it was done recently, it probably needs it anyway.

Check the serpentine belt.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Get a good set of mud tires. Wheelin' with the stock donuts sucks.
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
90XJGuy

hey thanks abunch for the feedback, i'll look into the cooling system, i just went to the junkyard today and got abunch of parts for the jeep, i got the fan clutch, hoses for the crankcase vent, coolant reservoir cap, new steering wheel, not a jeep steering wheel but a 10" diameter wheel like in a go cart(it was in another cherokee so i figure it will fit), got new lift gate supports and now all i need is a key cylinder,radio, couple of bolts for the steering wheel underneath, and some other little things.

i got a set of 31x 10.5 all terrian KO's from my old suburban i had, and a -=-=-=-=load of driving lights for the jeep that was on my suburban.

what's good for the exhaust and a header, which i will also plan on doing to this vehicle.
Unread 05-26-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
xj89

In my jeep I replaced my headers with pacesetter headers, and ran that into a MAgnaflow high flow cat, then into a Dynomax super turbo Exhaust. Its not the loudest sounding exhaust, but i would say it made the jeep a little more peppier. There are however many more brands such as Gibson, Borla, you could also just use a stock manifold, but with pacesetter itsonly like an extra 60 bucks for headers. just my .02
Unread 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
90XJGuy

well i've gotten now the key cylinder from a NAPA autopart store and now i feel safe that no one can steal the cherokee that easy, i looked at the rusty's 3" kit and i think that's the winner, so i would like some feedback on the rusty 3" kit, i'll get the spring package so i have nice new springs in the back.

i think that's a good price to start off for a lift, so this way i don't have to spend more money on a SYE lit and maybe get away with just dropping the t-case and the crossmember kit.
Unread 05-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
xj89

i just installed the rustys 3 inch about a month ago. i really like it, the back end will be a bit higher then the front but it settles a bit. I think the ride is pretty decent i mean bumps do feel harder with it but its ok. the install was pretty painless they forgot to send instructions, but i had done enough researching for months befour so it didnt really makea diference. the only thing i would sugest is adding a aftermarkek steering stabilizer, and an adjustable track bar. you dont need an adjustable one at 3 inches but i wish i had it, but its totally up to you. Im a fan of rustys, and they have great customer service. Any questions on the lift u can PM me and ill get back to you
Unread 05-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

You should always run a SYE with a lift higher than 2" (on the pre97, it may need one for the 2"). You may not feel vibes, but the driveline angles will be outta wack. Not to mention the strain a TC drop puts on Motor mounts and Trans mounts.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
Matt1994XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
Get a good set of mud tires. Wheelin' with the stock donuts sucks.
If your planning on having it for a winter vehicle id pass on the mud tires. Most mud tires are very bad in the snow. Id reccommend a good all terrain tire like BFG maybe. As for teh sye i have a 3in lift and i dotn get and vibes but a sye is stronger. have fun with it and good luck

1994 Cherokee 2-Door 4.0L HO w/ 5 speed
SOLD :( Miss it everyday
Matt1994XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • newbie ? - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (6 replies)
  • newbie - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • Newbie w/ ??s - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • Newbie - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • Hey all- Newbie - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (2 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.