Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

NEWBIE NEEDS HELP-Virgin Mudbog

259 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Macgeyver 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone....I just got my 1996 XJ ready for the county fair Mud Bog and could use some pointers. Here is the story and work I have done.

Bought it new in 1996 and served my family well. It would no longer pass state inspection so I made her into an off roader to use on the farm but have decided to try her out in the local mud bog/Races. The course at the county fair leads off with a few jumps and turns and then a dip into the mud bath

So far I have added 3 inches of basic lift....coil spring spacers in the front and a bloc in the back, gave it some 35's on Bart rims with offset.

I have cut the fenders and quarters severely to make these work...I have hit some decent jumps and no rubbing:smile2:

I have removed the sway bar as well.

Everything sharp in the wheel wells has been hammered back and smoothed out with sheet metal as well as beating the firewall back to make more room.

A home made snorkel was added last night as well.

I have sealed up every connection a could find under the hood with liquid rubber as a precaution.

I have also removed the airbag...don't want it to blow up in my face

The rearends and auto transmission are stock....

The motor is a stock 4.0 high output

Any help on the questions below would be greatly appreciated.

Should I bog in 4 hi or 4 lo?

Should I weld up the spider gears in the back or is that too much risk of breaking an axel running the 35's?

Any suggestions on air pressure?

See less See more
#2 ·
NEWBIE questions

Hi All,
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic that I just dedicated to an off road only vehicle....

Details...
1996 4.0 high output, auto tranny, stock rears. I added 3 inches of basic lift...3 inch coil blocks up front with 3 inch leaf blocks in the back. I am running 35's on offset Bart wheels. I have cut the wheel wells dramatically to make sure they don't rub. I also added a snorkel just in case.

I was planning on going to the local fair and enter the mudbog/race and had a few questions that I could use some advice on.

Should I run in 4 hi or 4 lo with the 35's?

Is it good idea to weld the rear spider gears or is that just asking for trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.