Newbie needs help(theres a first) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Newbie needs help(theres a first)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
randyj

Newbie needs help(theres a first)

hi folks, I just moved to the ft lauderdale area and a friend of mine has given me a 96 cherokee 2.5I 4, 5spd, 2dr. the vehicle wasnt starting and i was able to fix it using this forum as a source of info. thank you all!!! there is a wealth of knowledge here and every little bit helps. so far i have changed plugs,wires, cap, rotor,coil, crank sensor(source of th problem), fuel filter and she runs well now. the xj runs strongr for 93k miles.

well the xj has the shakes bad, as some described it, it feels like your in a paint shaking machine at home depot. i have read that its the track bar. how hard is it to fix? can anyone recomend a good mechanic in this area, actually anywhere in south fl. also i would like to paint her, any recommendations.

thanks for any help!!!!

RandyJ

randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Might be track bar. Might be alignment or tires out of balance. I would start there. I'm still fighting DW(death wobble) and my track bar is fine alignment is good and new shocks. also have dual steering stabilizer. No luck yet there are to many variables To say one is the cause. If you did the tune up yourself tightening up or replacing the track bar bushings should be a job you can do. Good luck

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
randyj

thanks for the reply, yeah im pretty good with a wrench. when changing the bushing i see there is a one piece and 2 piece design. which should i use, and is there one or two bushings. lastly does the bushing need to be pressed in by machine? i see that rock auto has the track bar itself for $27 (spicer red the cheapo one), does anyone know if that includes the bushings preinstalled?

whats the pref. for shocks? its gonna be stock ride hight? im looking at the monroes.

thanks again, any feed back will be great

RandyJ
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
96JXJ

The shakes could be to many things to mention. Just check over every thing in the front end. Have a friend turn the wheel back & forth while you are under it looking,listening & feeling every thing that moves. As for the shocks the monroe sensatrack(sp) are good. JIM.
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Shakes at speed? Any specific speed or after a bump or when?

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
randyj

it shakes at any speed really. its seems to skake most when going up or down inclines, or dips in the road. it seems to calm down when you back off i the gas peddle.

so anyone chime in please, how many bushings are there, is it easy to install ( ie you dont need a machine to press them im), and lastly if i order the entire track bar from a vendor, does it have the bushings preinstalled?

please help
thanks
Randy
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My Rusty's came with the bushings installed but you don't need a after market one if you don't have a lift. The stock one has a bushing at one end and a tie rod end on the other. But am thinking that before you buy any parts you should have someone turn the wheel back and forth and look for any play anywhere if not then take it in for an alignment at a shop that understands 4x4's not pep boys and such. Ask around and find someone that only works on alignments and chassis make sure to tell them what its doing. Just my

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.